Author Topic: Another question.  (Read 1340 times)

Offline enough

• Posting Member
Greetings doctors!

I'm thinking more and more about a gynecomastia operation.

So here's my history about it and a question following.

I use to be an obese kid, struggling with his weight since my childhood. I developped quite early a gynecomastia (around 10-11 years old) probably caused by fatty tissues... But I'm still not sure about it. I remembered going to my familly doctor at maybe 16 years old, asking what was going on with this problem. He said it was mostly fat and doesn't seem to have breast tissue. Well that's what he said.

This condition bugged me to the point I almost completely retreated to my normal activies. I didn't want to see friends anymore and began to be quite social phobic. As a result, I didn't do any physical activies anymore and kept on fattening. Let's say I'm 5'11" with quite small bones (6.5 inches wrists) and were not muscular at all at the time and my bodyweight went to 260 lbs.

In my early twenties, I began to train and were really disciplined about it. I started losing a lot of weight while getting more muscular. My bodyweight went down of a 100 pounds to 160 lbs. For sure, I had some loose skins but it wasn't that bad at all since my % of fat went down at about 8%. This said, my gynecomastia decreased a lot but still got it at a certain point. 

I kept on training (because now I really enjoy it) and wanted to be stronger. As a result, I ate more to gain more muscle mass and regained weight but while getting more and more muscular (my arms went from a 13 inches to a 18 inches). Never took any AAS and never will. My bench press went from a difficult 70 lbs to a solid 235 lbs. My squat from a difficult 120 lbs to a solid 315 lbs. While I know this isn't impressive for most, for me it's a good step forward.

So now, I'm 35 years old and my bodyweight is 235 lbs. I guess to be really on the chart standard, I should drop about 35-45 lbs to be around 200 lbs. I know I will never be cut as the one in the magazine because I tend to have loose skin... But what bothers me isn't that : it's my gynecomastia. So now, I'm on a work stoppage mainly caused by depression and want to take this chance to get an operation.

So here's my question :

Because I read a few people "regrew" their gynecomastia after the operation, I'm scared it could happen and kill my enthusiasm and spirit.

So, my case exposed to you Doctors, is there any chance this bad situation could occur? Is this something that happens frequently?

Thanks again!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Recurrence of gynecomastia which develops during puberty is not common.  From your history, properly executed surgery should give you a good and lasting result.  It's important that you consult with a surgeon who is familiar and well-trained in gynecomastia surgery.  Some stories of recurrence in situations like yours are probably more the result of an inadequate primary procedure.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com