Author Topic: Best surgical procedure for puffy nipples  (Read 2491 times)

Offline anon111

• Posting Member
Hello,

I recently had a consultation with a plastic surgeon, referred by a family friend, regarding my puffy nipples.

Based on the relatively small size and softness of the tissue, he recommended a less invasive procedure consisting of numerous small incisions for liposuction followed by arthroscopy (?) for the harder tissue lipo misses.

Is this the typical approach for puffy nipples? What are the risks compared to other approaches?

Also, the surgeon has performed the procedure about 20 times. Concerns? I searched for a gynecomastia expert in Utah but couldn't find one.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I use a combination of liposuction and excision of the sub-areolar mass for nearly all of my gynecomastia procedures where skin removal is not required.  I don't use an arthroscopic shaver, and I have no experience with that technique to comment on it, other than to say that it is used by some surgeons.  I think that most of the surgeons on this forum use a technique similar to what I've described, as it gives the surgeon direct control over the tissue left behind under the nipple.  You may want to get more than one opinion, considering the limited experience of your surgeon.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Some surgeons look at puffy nipples and think that merely by removing the underlying tissue one can get a flat nipple -- untrue!  You actually have to perform a more elaborate procedure to remove most of the excess tissue on the entire chest(which often accompanies puffy nipples)and also free up the surrounding skin to allow re-distribution of the skin envelope.  If the latter is not done, then the nipple skin (even with the underlying tissue removed) will have nowhere to go and will puff up again.

Best to go to an experienced gyne surgeon for this operation -- it is not easy.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I believe that multiple incisions with liposuction only will result in multiple scars with inadequate removal of glandular tissue.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024