Author Topic: unilateral gynecomastia surgery.. no vest?  (Read 6758 times)

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
my doctor told me he would not be using a vest. I am kinda worried because i hear from everyone that its needed.
Is this a sign that he does not know what he is doing? Or just his personal thing?

I saw pictures of his results and they all looked great..
should i switch doctors? i already set the appointment.. ..

oh yeah also i took some valium twice last week and this whole week my other nipple without gyno has been hurting burnning and itching.. is this signs of gyno? like what in the world!! i get one taken care of and now the other maybe? what do u docs think?

help? advice? thanks guys..

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Since we don't know much about the history of your gynecomastia, it's difficult to address what's going on to cause discomfort in your opposite side.  It's not likely related to your valium use at all.  You should address that before you have surgery, since the potential for post-operative symmetry is a consideration, and it's less of an interruption to your life and probably more cost effective to have both sides treated at the same time.

Regarding the vest, not all surgeons use a vest, but most surgeons (if not all) who do gynecomastia on a regular basis use some compression post-operatively.  You didn't mention if he uses ace wraps or some alternative. I find the vests most convenient and the least disruptive to those who want to be able to put clothes on and go back to work a few days post-op.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
well i smoked weed form age like 13 to 18 and it started around 13 i had got punched in my nipple really hard and then a couple months later i had like a disc feeling thing on my nipple..

smoking weed i think made it worse
now its just a nice pinch of breast tissue..

i have quit smoking weed 2 years ago.. so thats why im going through with it.. but
the P.S. i am using charged me 50% less since hes only doing one side..

so i figure it doesnt really matter if i do one side now.. and then the other pops up in 6 months
since ill pay 50% of full gyno cost anyways.. and ill prolly get a discount since im returning ..

thanks for the reply doc..

i think ima get my own compression type thing.. like the ace bandages and a tight under armour shirt..

i cant remember if he said he is using them.. i go in on wed. ill report back!!

thanks

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I believe all surgeons do what works for them,there are no absolutes.I personally have found that the compression vest is an integral component of my treatment with the patient.I provide each patient with two vests that are worn between one and two months following the surgery.The time line for the compression vest is related to the size of the gynecomastia,the skin elasticity and the patient's age.I recommend the patient use an under-armour under the compression vest.The under-armour is NOT for compression but rather to allow the vest to move freely against the skin, particularly at the seams of the compression vest.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
Had surgery today he said before surgery he would use drains but I woke up n he said I did not need them.. I got a ace wrap pretty tight on ... It burns and hurts not cuz THe wrap but I have been on vicoden all day... Haven't got to see it really but right when I woke up I looked down n it looked like it was still there but idk they showed me what they took out pretty gross ... Have check up next week...  Hey doctors if they didn't take it all out can they go back and take morE? Or is it a big hassle? I don't know If that's needed but just curious

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Revision is possible, but the best is to have it done thoroughly the first time.  Allow plenty of time for healing and swelling to resolve.  I typically won't do any revision for 9 months to a year from the time of surgery.

RS

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
Yeah figured ..
When I see it I'll pos pics... Before and after... I know the doctor knows what he's doing but I feel like he was scared of cratering n maybe left some in... Thus no drains...

U guys are great tho.. Respect what u guys do for us...

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
ok so here is my before op docs..
i know its bad.. super boob!! lol only one too but hey shit happens..

i am now about 10 days post op and 4 days ago i saw the doc and had some fluid he said dont worry and set an appointment for a month from now.. .. problem is now the fluid is worse then it was 4 days ago.. i am using a wrap around my chest pretty tight i did take it off one night and slept without it.. but other then that ive tried to keep it on 24/7

he said it should go away on its own.. but that was 4 days ago and now its worse.. what do u guys think?

THIS PIC IS PRE OP BEFORE THE SURGERY!!!

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
that first pic is before op..

THIS is like 3 days post op

i cant get a good pic of it right now with the extra fluid build up cuz its kinda cold and my nipples get hard and u cant really tell.. ill post one later thats 10 days post op

basicly looks like gyno again i know its not cuz i can feel it and its soft like squishy and plus doc said it was.. dont know what kind.. how would i tell the difference on what kind of fluid it is??

also.. is the 3 days post op pretty much what it would look like after all is healed? i thought it looked fine but now with the fluid it kinda sucks.. feel like shitty about it.. but i know it will go away or i will get it drained.. just sucks..

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
well im about 5.5 weeks post op
and i have a problem.. in the pics post op i look a lot different than i do now..

i have some swelling but it feels gooshy.. like soft and i can pinch it..
it doesnt hurt anymore tho.. also sometimes its hard.. like if i dont massage it for awhile
it will become hard.. but then if i massage it for a day.. the next few days it will be soft like
tissue..

im confused because as u can see in the pictures.. there was not "TISSUE"
left after surgery.. i mean maybe a little but not like it is now..

my question is.. is this just swelling? or leftover tissue?
would swelling become hard like this? and then soft?

HAAALP!!

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Without an examination it is impossible to answer your question.From the clinical course you have narrated my best guess is that the swelling may be a small hematoma or seroma which will resolve with time.

Offline UNIGYNO

• Posting Member
Thanks doc I talked to him he said its blood... I massaged pretty hard for 2 days and now it's even worse I'm gunna just leave it alone for now.. And put wrap on when I can... Is it normal for swelling to get worse when massaged? I should stop right?

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
For a small hematoma time should take care of it.Basically your body will dissolve the hematoma. Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024