Author Topic: Question for Dr. Silverman  (Read 1947 times)

Offline puffysucks

• Posting Member
I've been taking a ZMA supplement before bed to try and replenish zinc levels that could be depleted from aggressive training and I had a question. The supplement also has melatonin in it for a better nights sleep along with an extract that contains 50% saponins. Saponins can come from fenugreek and I was wondering if it's possible for that to cause recurrence. I know fenugreek is supposed to help mothers create more breast milk for breast feeding, but can it have negative side effects in males at a low dose. The source of the saponins is trigonella foenum greacum extract at 50mg. Either way, I'm not using the ZMA for the extract, but for the actual vitamins/minerals it supplies. I've had the supplement for a while and used to take it but stopped, I've used it twice now and was wondering if continued use could lead to recurrence of breast tissue.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm not aware of ZMA being associated with gynecomastia.  You always have to exercise some caution based on the manufacturer of any supplement, since there is some contamination of supplements manufactured in the same space, which is low, but present.  If the manufacturer makes some sort of pro-hormone capsules and also makes other non-hormonally active capsules, and there's mixing in some way, there could be contamination from one product to another.  Not common, but it happens apparently. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline puffysucks

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned about the ZMA causing gyno, but they added an extract that supplies saponins, which I'm not really familiar with. All I know is that saponins can be found in fenugreek, and that fenugreek can be used to support breast milk production in mothers who are breast feeding.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024