Author Topic: Kenalog qauestion  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Westsyder

• Posting Member
Hello I have been getting Kenalog shots on my post scar tissue that is a little over a year old. I started the shots about 3 and a half months ago. I have a questions to ask doctors that have done many of these injections.

How much scar tissue can you get rid of before it being too too risky? Or is it possible to get rid of 95%-99% of it, and leave a thin thin layer, that is the idea I want. I am having my 4th injection of 5fu mixed with Kenalog this wednesday. After every Injection it look MUCH better!

So how much scar tissue have you seen go away? what is Ideal or possible? I thank you for reading.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
There is a significant amount of variability in patients' response to Kenalog. Some patients respond to small doses while others require larger doses.The variability also extends to the period between injections.As far as percentages of scar I am not sure what you are referring to so I cannot comment.Remember Kenalog decreases new collagen production and decreases the inhibition on collagen resorption.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Westsyder

• Posting Member
Thank you for your answer Dr. Any other doctors seen scar tissue almost completely vanish after kenalog meaning 95% smaller size from the original scar tissue?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
When the problem is truly just related to scar tissue, Kenalog injections can be very effective at reducing the amount of scarring.  I prefer the low dose, multiple injection approach in order to avoid problems, and I find that generally 2 or 3 injections takes care of the problem.  Sometimes a single injection is enough to get the 95% improvement you describe.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
There is no human scar tissue that will resist Kenalog if it is given in sufficient doses and is injected properly -- it works!!

I tend to be aggressive with Kenalog, often starting with a higher dose and I find that frequently only one injection is needed to get the desired result.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Westsyder

• Posting Member
thank you all for your answers, he was not my original doctor so thats why he is probably being a little more careful and he use kenalog and 5fu. I will tell him to go a little more agressive this time thanks!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024