Author Topic: Doctor informed me that stitches under areola will take a few months to dissolve  (Read 3707 times)

BrandonPrice31

I went for a follow-up appointment and the plastic surgeon cut the edges of the stitches however I still have the stitch under each areola.

He told me that it will be 3-4 months before the melt?

Why wouldn't he use disolvable stitches? Are these types of stitches that melt after a long period risky because of scaring?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Using dissolvable stitches is very common. One reason to use them is to avoid any marks on the skin.  Deep stitches are mostly dissolving stitches, and they give support to the more superficial tissue in order to remove any non-absorbable skin stitches sooner rather than later.  This results in better looking scars.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

BrandonPrice31

What he did was cut the ends of the stitches (appearing outside of chest), but the ones under my skin he says will melt in 2-4 months.

Isn't that long?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
Not really--they're there doing their job, and as they're no longer required, and as your body heals, they go away.  It's not likely that you'll know they're there unless you have a problem.

RS

BrandonPrice31

I'm asking because I can see the indent of the stitch which is creating a fold in my skin.

Until it evaporates I will have that crease/indent.

Have you ever had a case like that?

Not really--they're there doing their job, and as they're no longer required, and as your body heals, they go away.  It's not likely that you'll know they're there unless you have a problem.

RS

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
It may not be stitched accurately, in which case it may still be mismatched when the stitch dissolves.  Quite often, however, as long as the wound is fairly well-approximated, the scar may settle down and look okay over time.  You should ask your surgeon when you return.

BrandonPrice31

I went to my surgeon and he said everything looked fine.

Best way to describe it, is now that I don't have fat in that area of the areola, the stitches creates an indent because the skin is lying flat on it. Until the stitch dissolves, the stitch is still under the layer of the skin creating that indent.

Does that makes sense? By the way, thank you so much for all the help!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024