Author Topic: 6 weeks post op question  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Chadly

• Posting Member
 Hi, I'm now six weeks post op and still experiencing discomfort. Is this normal and if so what is the average time for complete relief? I stopped wearing my vest which I found helped with the soreness. The vest seemed to keep everything protected. I was also told to massage after my one week check up which I've been doing. The nurse said they recommend up to six months of massaging, is this over done? Thanks again for your feedback!

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Every patient is different, and some will have discomfort longer than others.  It's not unusual for patients to still be aware of their surgical site six weeks after surgery, but it shouldn't be constant severe pain--often some aching with activity, and frequently patients will describe sharp shooting pains, which are brief and intermittent.  The latter is often related to nerves reawakening around the surgical site.  Massage helps with discomfort as well as swelling, and it's reasonable to continue for up to six months.  If everything seems soft and perfect sooner, then you can stop. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery