Author Topic: 5 Month Post Op Not Completely Happy (picture)  (Read 2230 times)

Offline jnd3344

• Posting Member
5 month post op here are my main concerns
1. Nipples are only visible when hard, most of the time only my areola shows and nipple is just sinked in as it was before not due to the operation but because of the gynecomastia my areola was flat with no nipple when not hard.
2. Areola is see through white and other light colored shirts and somewhat in dark colored shirts, not in black shirts.
3. Still not completely flat, maybe due to swelling or scar tissue, i feel like some days post op it was flatter than how it looks like right now.
4. Areola size didn't shrink as much as i expected
5. Symmetry but its not a huge concern.

Is there still hope for some of this to be fixed? Thanks for the replies.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Based on the single photo you've provided and the lack of any pre-operative photos, it's difficult to comment, though the photo looks like a fairly normal looking chest.  Nipple projection varies from person to person, and it sounds like yours are the same now as they were pre-operatively.  I'm not sure what you mean with #2 - If you can see the areola through your shirts and it's a concern, you can either wear darker clothing or wear a t-shirt under your shirts. The areola does tend to darken and shrink after the surgery, though based on #4, you're not satisfied with the amount of shrinkage that occurred.  The size looks fine based on the photo, and I would not do a reduction, since the scar would not be warranted by the minimal amount you'd reduce it.  As for #3, the single view doesn't demonstrate your concern. Symmetry seems reasonable from this view.

In summary, I'm not sure what "fixing" you're looking for.  Areola color is what it is. You can darken it with tattooing, as we do with nipple reconstruction in women, but I'm not sure how you would lighten the pigmentation. Nipple projection, which you didn't have before the surgery, might be improved with suction devices or perhaps injection of fillers (temporary, but repeatable). Your surgeon can better comment on any residual swelling or scar tissue, which isn't obvious in the photos.

Sorry to be so vague.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline jnd3344

• Posting Member
Thank you very much this is very helpful! I'm going to wait one more month and then see if I should get kenalog injections. Thanks!

Offline jnd3344

• Posting Member
btw is not the color of the areola whats see through shirts but the outline of the whole areola. Does this make a difference?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I'm not sure...sounds like you must wear very thin shirts.

RS

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024