Author Topic: 17 yrs old - I know it's gyne, but how bad?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline groovyd97

Hi,

I'm 17, I'm 5ft10 and weigh 150lbs. I know this is gynecomastia, but just wondering how bad? I have sensitive lumps under the nipples and have had this for about 1.5 years.
The pictures show what I'm like most of the time, with the last one showing what they're like when it's cold (with nipples erect yo).

Also, will doing chest exercise (e.g. bench press) in the gym make it worse?
Is the only option surgery, and if so should I wait till I'm 18?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
You have a moderate case of gynecomastia.  If you've only been aware of it for 1.5 years, there is a possibility that it might improve, although your age goes against that a bit.  Typically, gynecomastia that develops during puberty resolves in 95% of cases within three years of onset.  You might want to give it time to see if it gets better without surgery.  Weight training WILL NOT make it worse.  Cutting body fat can sometimes make the nipple-areolar prominence more noticeable, but the condition doesn't really change as a result of chest exercises.  And if you require surgery, it's helpful to have a nice full pectorals muscle to give better chest shape afterwards.

If you proceed with surgery, I'd encourage you to choose your surgeon carefully to give yourself the best shot at a good outcome.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com