Author Topic: mild gyne caused by propranolol (Inderal)  (Read 1583 times)

Offline professor0707

Dear Doctors

I am 35 years old; 95kg weigh (Overweight) 175Cm height. Last year, I was suffering from shaking from anxiety, where I went to see my doctor, she prescribed for me 20Mg propranolol (Inderal). 250 tablets. Told me to take when I face anxiety. Out of 250 I used only 12 of tablets in six occasions for period 2 months. While, I stopped using the tablets, because it was giving me also pain in the kidneys. Later one day, I was playing with my son and he jumped on my right breast and I got hurt due to pressure of his foot on my right breast, after that my breast started having pain for 5 minutes and then it disappeared, however any physical touch to my breast, I was feeling a low pain, three 3 months past and still I was feeling pain, if my breast would touch anything or if I slept on the right side, also I noticed that my right breast became noticeably bigger than my left breast. That’s where I got worried and I went to see my doctor, based on my explanation my doctor told me it could be a swollen tissue or something due to that jump on my breast, however she asked me to go to private clinic and have Xray of my breast with Ultrasound. I went to clinic two days ago and had my breast checked with Xray and Ultrsound, the doctor there told me that I have developed female breast tissue in my right breast, he told me it is not cancer and I do not have to worry about it, he asked me if I used any medication and I told him about propranolol (Inderal) and he told me that could have been the reason, he did not tell me more and added that he will send a formal report to my doctor and I should ask my doctor about it.  Since then, my life calmness is over, I have no sleep and am so much worried, and feel ashamed and embarrassed with the size of my right breast. I was nagging my doctor with phone calls and she told me that as soon as she receives the report, she will let me know.
Now, until that happens, I have been searching google and I get lots of contradicting and confusing readings about Gynecomastia. My doctor did not tell me this term, this Gynecomastia word I learned from the internet, then I also found the word Pseudogynecomastia. So, i need your help in this critical moment of my life.
My questions:  A) Can the doctor be still mistaken after examining my breast with xray and ultrasound and classificing it as breast tissue? Do you think they can make mistake? Can this be instead Gynecomastia?
B) I still have pain with physical touch on breast and the size of my breast did not increase, but it did not decrease either and the pain is still there with physical touch.  Is there any medication or non-surgery solution for this?
C) since I am no longer using propranolol (Inderal) which has possibly caused me this problem, if I exercise and lose weight and do not take any medication. Would this breast problem go away?
D) my doctor had never told me about propranolol (Inderal) side effects, otherwise no way on earth, I would have taken this med. I do not know, but I am feeling like suing my doctor for prescribing me propranolol (Inderal).  Do you think my Doctor made a mistake by prescribing me propranolol (Inderal)?
E) my friends already noticed my breasts, when we went for swimming, they make laugh on me and calling me Moobs and bitch breasts etc. I feel like dying when I hear those derogatory words. What should do?  I have never had any surgery in my life and I am so afraid of cutting my body, do you think, surgery will be the only option? Will this breast tissue grow again after surgery? Is it worth taking the risks of surgery?
F) do insurance companies cover the costs of breast tissue removal? I hear that they say it is cosmetics rather than a medical necessity. Based on your experience, will insurance cover the cost? I believe it is a medical necessity when my breast have pain , what rationale or supporting documents shall I present to insurance to cover the costs of surgery?
G) if I do not do any surgery treatment, will eventually the pain go away? Or will the pain be for life?
H) I heard from some family friends, that having Gynecomastia would increase the chances of getting breast cancer? Is this true?
I) please please please, give me as much information as possible. I feel so desperate. Any information regarding this can be very vital for me.

Thank you very much

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Wow, that's a lot of questions. Impossible to address all of them in a short post. Use this site to investigate your concerns. One concern I would have is that you might have a serious medical condition that has caused you to have late onset gynecomastia. Most routine cases develop during puberty. Gynecomastia that develops later deservs a real medical work up. The fact that you also have been feeling very anxious, and Inderal was prescribes, would make me want to make sure that you do not have hyperthyroidism. Check back with your family doctor to investigate more.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024