Author Topic: I have a long history...  (Read 2590 times)

Offline terapixel

• Posting Member
hi.

first, i should start by saying that i can't believe this place exists.  i wish it would have been around when i was younger.

i am 27, a bisexual white male, and i have had gynecomastia since i was eight years old.

that's when i first noticed that i was different.  my cousins and classmates teased me mercilessly from that point on in my life.  of course i had all of the typical issues: wouldn't take off my shirt around others, didn't like playing sports, shame and more shame... i was also fat. very fat.

i don't think that my obesity caused my breasts to grow, but it didn't slow them down. they were and still are very prominent; as a boy, i remember my grandmother threatening me by saying she was going to make me wear a bra. She was my caretaker, and a large part of my shame component.  I had also been sexually abused both from within my family and from outside.  this contributed vastly to my gain.

i was a shy boy, that was also deemed very intelligent, though an under-performer.  i had many issues in my life, but my breasts have been one of the largest problems, figuratively and literally. 

when I was 20, i started to lose a great amount of weight.  going from 350 pounds to 150 in under 3 years.  Mostly, it was student-starvation, bicycling to class, and diet changes that triggered this.  But my breasts remained nearly intact.  a little deflated from the great masses they were at the  peak of my weight, but still visible through a shirt.

i was so frustrated; i could now fit into all the cool clothes i wanted to wear from retro shops, but tops hardly ever fit.  to this day i still curse my breasts for making XL dress shirts a necessity for me, while i look ridiculous having my pencil neck protruding from a collar 3 sizes to large for me.

recently, i have gained a few (30) pounds back, and with that, my breasts have responded by getting bigger once again.  My doctor has recommended that i get scanned for hormonal issues,  but i haven't been able to do that yet.

what is curious to me is my love/hate relationship with my chest. 
on one end, it always kept me from feeling attractive, yet, i have received praise for how they look.  boyfriends and girlfriends alike.  they make me feel awkward in public wearing clothes, but i am turned on by them when i walk around my apartment nude.  it's always been somewhat like that. a confusing swirl of love/hate. 

that's where i will end my story.  i hope to  engage with all of you soon.
_J_
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 07:25:41 PM by terapixel »
My gender is blank, because there is no category for "non-binary" on this site.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Welcome to the forum!  Here you will find sympathetic brethren who have dealt with all the problems that you have voiced.

A few points.  It is great that you have lost substantial amounts of weight.  However, the breasts that grew with you to your maximum weight will still be there (albeit slightly smaller in size) even at your much lower weight.  You still seem perplexed about having breasts -- and that is your first demon:  decide whether you wish to live with them or get rid of them -- there really is no in-between.  They will not disappear on their own -- no matter how much you diet or exercise.

If you opt to live with them, then try to find a compression shirt which can provide a better figure for you and could enable you to wear some smaller shirts.  If you want to get rid of them, then be sure to find an expert in gyne surgery in your area -- or be prepared to travel for such expertise.

Best of luck either way!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The good Doctor covered things pretty well.
The good news is that you live in a time when surgery is safe and effective when performed by someone who is properly qualified and experienced.  This was not always the case. Even now there are many general surgeons and others who are not really qualified to do this kind of body sculpture.  
The resident old man, I am 78 years old and have had the condition since the age of about 12.  In the early '50s surgery was not as safe and effective as it has now become and people of my age did not usually do that. 
In addition to information about surgery, There are hints to be found here that will help you cope with the condition.  The compression garments mentioned by Dr. Jacobs are but part of that picture.
Welcome to the club no one really wants to join.  You are among friends here so feel free to speak your mind as long as you do not offend others.  We are all here for basically the same reason.
Grandpa Dan

Offline terapixel

• Posting Member
thanks, guys!... I don't know what i want to do... but i have time to think at the moment. ;D

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Meanwhile you can take a small measure of comfort simply in knowing that you are not alone. That may not seem like much of a positive nature, but for some men it is enough.
As for the relationship between obesity and Gynecomastia.  There is more bad information going around than good information.   Obesity can indeed be a double edged sword.  One way obesity is hurtful is that the breast is one of the first places  where many of us deposit fat as we gain weight but the last place where we are likely to lose it.  Another problem is Aromatase.  The action where Testosterone is converted into Estrogen.  This takes place in the fat cells.  If that was not  enough, there is the issue of skin stretching.  When major amounts of weight are lost a mans skin in the breast area cannot always return to the elastic state it was prior to the weight gain.  

Offline terapixel

• Posting Member
Yeah, the skin elasticity is an issue that i have everywhere on my body.   i was willing to go under the knife for that, but my doctor wants me to lose 35 pounds first.  not a bad stipulation.
My hormones may be an issue, but i am not able to undergo a test for that until i get new insurance.  like i said, they began growing in childhood, even before i was overweight.  So hormones may very well be the issue.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024