Author Topic: 6 Weeks Post Op  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Zifnab

• Posting Member
Hi Doctors,

I'm 6 weeks post op since my gynecomastia surgery (pure excision due to low body fat) and have a concern. The results look amazing and great when I take off the vest or when I am cold where the nipples are erect. I'm worried because for the first time yesterday, I took off the vest for an extended period of time near a very warm area, when I looked at my chest again after several hours I noticed my nipples protruded in a cone-ish fashion slightly like how they were pre-op (albeit not nearly as bad). There is definitely quite a lot of hard scar tissue along the areola line where the incision was made. I can feel the difference in texture when I run my finger along it.

I can't say they were like this right after surgery or not because I never had a chance to not wear a vest for an extended period of time til now. So i'm just wondering if this is an issue due to scar tissue or if it's a possible issue with residual glandular tissue.

Is there any recommendations I can receive for this issue? I've already started to slightly massage the area for 10 minutes a day.

Tldr: Chest looks amazing after removing compression shirt/cold environment, starts to revert back to preop (less pronounced) cone nipples when in warm areas and after vest has been removed.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:35:44 PM by Zifnab »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
At six weeks post-op, there is still swelling, and the healing process is at early stages.  The constant compression minimizes swelling, but when the vest is off, some of that subtle swelling can become apparent, so nipples may appear more prominent ("cone-shaped" is a common descriptor), and this is common.  Just continue to advance activities based on your surgeon's recommendations, and give the healing process more time.  The other thing I remind my patients is that we are observed by others who are in front of or on the side of us, not looking down from above.  Nipple have a certain amount of projection, which is normal, and they may have a shape that is slightly pointed or conical.  This may persist after surgery, but it's typically much less pronounced.  But looking from above is not the best way to assess the results.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
There is still some swelling. It is also common to get a bit of a temporary "rebound" after taking the vest off. Hang in there and give it more time.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024