Author Topic: Surgery questions  (Read 2436 times)

rrr

This is a repost, as in the other section, I did not receive any responses.
My gyno started 2 years ago, so I'm expecting it to grow for several more years before I have hope of it stabilizing. As I am already a C cup, I'm fearing a D+ will be the end result. As it it idiopathic in cause, if I am to do anything about it, surgery is the only option down the road.
If I indeed end up with a lot of excess skin and dislocated nipples, my questions are (experiences and photos helpful):

Can surgery restore my original (male) contour?

Will I be free of visible scars?

Will my nipples end up where they started?

Will I maintain 100% of my feeling in the area?

I am assuming that since this is "cosmetic", that the first 3 questions will be yes. Otherwise, what is the point of surgery for appearance if the results look bad?

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Without seeing photos of your condition, it is impossible to address your questions with any certainty.  Surgery can restore the male appearance of the chest, and in many cases, this can be done with a minimum of scarring.  If, on the other hand, you have C or D cup breasts, it's likely that you might require skin excision at the same time, and this will leave more extensive scarring.  Nipple position can be adjusted in this instance, but it may not be exactly where they started.  As for sensation, you will certainly have transient sensory loss in the operative site, but much of that feeling, if not all, will return over time.  Erotic sensibility of the nipple may be impaired after glandular excision, since the nerve that provides that sensation is usually cut with gland removal. 
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

rrr

Dr. Silverman, thanks for your reply.
Your answers sound truthful, but not appealing. As for photos, there's no point at this time, since I probably have several years before they stabilize. I have one posted from last year at the 18 month mark.
It sounds like my choices may well be:
1) Have an unsightly (for males) female chest without scars and with all feeling.
or
2) Have a male chest that looks like Frankenstein and with most likely far less feeling - and that's if everything went right.
Great.
I was hoping there was a good choice and a bad choice, not 2 bad choices.
Bummed.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
First some  photos are necessary  prior to any input.Photos are useful,and a bit more history.How old are you,do you have any medical problems,are you overweight,do you take any medications now or have you taken any medications  in the past also have you ingested steroids or other anabolic drugs?
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

rrr

First some  photos are necessary  prior to any input.Photos are useful,and a bit more history.How old are you,do you have any medical problems,are you overweight,do you take any medications now or have you taken any medications  in the past also have you ingested steroids or other anabolic drugs?

Dr. Pensler,
I posted photos in another section from last year, at the 18 month mark after it began. They are continuing to slowing grow - no pain or growth spurts. Once it stabilizes I will repost. As to your questions; I am mid fifties, never been overweight, not on any medication - at all - when it started, and have never done steroids or illegal drugs. Blood work came back negative for hormonal, pituitary, liver, and adrenal problems. One year ago the endo diagnosed Tanner Stage 3 idiopathic gynecomastia.
I am pretty sure what the end result will be as they show no signs of stopping. What I put forth was the worst case scenario (based on growth so far), of a D or greater size.
B

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Idiopathic gynecomastia will typically start around puberty and continue for 2-4 years. Weight gain and loss may make it look different there after. If they are growing rapidly, painful, or growing very larger, it would be worthwhile to see an endocrinologist for a thorough work up. surgery is always intended to give the best result possible. But this depends on the condition of the skin and size of breast at the time of surgery. There is always temporary numbness after surgery but most the feeling returns by 3-6 months.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

rrr

Quote from: Dr. Dr. Schuster link=topic=31544.msg202162#msg202162 date=1456278448
Idiopathic gynecomastia will typically start around puberty and continue for 2-4 years. Weight gain and loss may make it look different there after. If they are growing rapidly, painful, or growing very larger, it would be worthwhile to see an endocrinologist for a thorough work up. surgery is always intended to give the best result possible. But this depends on the condition of the skin and size of breast at the time of surgery. There is always temporary numbness after surgery but most the feeling returns by 3-6 months.

Thanks for your reply Dr. Schuster.
I do not fit into the "typical" category, as my idiopathic gyno started in my early fifties. They are not growing rapidly, nor are they painful, but they do seem to be on the way to large. I have had every possible test - liver, pituitary, adrenal, and hormonal - and they have all been normal.

The 2 year mark has come and gone, and there are no signs of it stopping.

Bummed

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Other issues could be weight gain - have you gained weight over the past couple of years? And medications - have you started any new meds (either prescribed by docs or over the counter meds) within the past couple of years?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024