Author Topic: N Large 2  (Read 4911 times)

Offline GuckFyno

• Bronze Member
I'm not sure how many other people here are actually trying to put on weight (muscle weight) besides me but if you are I highly reccomend this stuff.  I've been mixing 3 scoops with 12 oz of milk every night.  Here is a link:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/pl/large.html

Offline Yoshi

• Bronze Member
If you are under 18 or in your early teens I highly don't recommend this stuff. I'm assuming you are consuming 52g +9 (61g) g from milk. I switching from 29g to 49g every other day and it basically demolished my system. I had horrible dirrhea and now get dirrhea if I drink more than 2 glasses of milk a day (although my tolerance is again building). I was 15 at the time I did this.

Offline GuckFyno

• Bronze Member
I haven't had any problems like that with it, however I'm 20 so maybe your right it just isn't great for the teens.  I've set a goal of 3,000 cals and 160g of protein a day and one of these right before bed makes that very attainable.  It's got plenty of good amino acids as well.

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
N-Large2 is scheite. if you took a chance to look at the label you'd see how much of it is sugar  :o

their claim is that its 50g protein/serving... well here's the rub: 1 scoop does not equal 1 seving. i think its actuall 4 scoops = 1 serving.

you'd be MUCH better off getting a high quality whey product instead of spending top dollar for the cheap filler (sugar).

Offline moobius

• Gold Member
a little over 50 grams of protein which is probably overkill because it seems I read somewhere  that most people can only digest about 36 grams of fast digesting protein at a time.

this is another myth continuously perpetuated throught the "bro" community  ::)

the amount of protein the body can digest will of course vary from person to person and will depend on many, many factors.  to even pretend to suggest that a process with so many variables can be boiled down to "people can only digest about 36 grams of fast digesting protein at a time" is rediculous. whoever came up with this absurdity needs a dumbell dropped on their head

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

Pro Lab is pretty competively priced, not really top dollar. How about some specifics such as what you prefer to use?  

when i said "top dollar" i was referring to the high price of sugar that people are paying when they buy NL-2.

i buy all my protein bulk. there's plenty of places online to get really good quality protein at an affordable price.

i typically shop at www.proteinfactory.com or www.allthewhey.com

Offline stargraphicas

• Posting Member
Hi
N Large isnt all that expensive.  It isnt designed to be a protein shake, its actually better used pre and post workout.  Heres why.

Most people have noted the sugar content.  It does have alot of sugar.  But it contains malodextrin, a type of sugar that immediatly hikes up your glycogen stores.  When you work out, you deplete your stores.  For the sake of a short post Im not going to talk about the GI index, glycogen, etc.  The basics are this: The body uses glycogen for fuel.  It gets this fuel from proteins, fats, and carbs, but PREFERS carbs as its source.  N Large provides this carb after your workout because your body is craving not only energy but nutrients to rebuild the tissue you just broke down.  Simply put, you are doing a disservice by pounding a protein shake after a workout.  Your body is utilizing most of this protein for glycogen production, not muscle rebuilding which is what we want.  The sugar solves this problem by allowing the body an energy source.

is N Large necessary to get big?  Can I get big by consuming just protein? Sure you can.  Will adding a simple sugar give me more impressive gains?  Of course it will.

Heres a poor mans N Large: buy a whey isolate and a couple of 5 lb bags of dextrose.  Your body only needs about 30 grams of dextrose to spike your body's GI and allow it to use the protein for rebuilding.  I use about 3 tablespoons with my shake, along with creatine and L-glutamine.  

If you want more reading, bodybuilding.com has tons of great articles about the glycemic index, sugars, and rebuilding your body after breakdown.

Follow me as I shed body fat in hopes of reducing the appearance of gyno:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/sgentity

Offline moobius

• Gold Member

Heres a poor mans N Large: buy a whey isolate and a couple of 5 lb bags of dextrose.  Your body only needs about 30 grams of dextrose to spike your body's GI and allow it to use the protein for rebuilding.  I use about 3 tablespoons with my shake, along with creatine and L-glutamine.  

this is exactly my point. by buying NL2, one is paying a premium for the sugar... buying a 5lb bag of dextrose and some bulk high quality whey will give you much MUCH more bang for your buck than going with NL2.

as for bb.com, they may have some good info there but for the beginner is hard to sort out the real gems from the BS misinformation... bb.com is viewed as a joke amongst practically all the other boards in that community

Offline stargraphicas

• Posting Member
My favorite writers on bodybuilding.com are Eric Satterwhite and Derek Charlebois.  They both seem to have a good grasp on lifting, body mechanics, and nutrition.  I especially like Eric because alot of his writing centers around the GI index and how your body utilizes different nutrients.  Some links are below:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/satter.htm

I dont ever read the message boards for information.  Message boards are mostly places for people to sound off and alot of uninformed people make statements that should be taken with a grain of salt.  

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024