Author Topic: During surgery, how do you assess adequate size, contour, etc & decide to finish  (Read 1110 times)

Offline ducky

• Posting Member
Im asking because often when i have my shirt off and its slightly cold, my nipple contracts...
When my nipple is contracted, i dont look like i have gyno. 
My worry is that in the OR, my nipples might be contracted thus throwing off the surgeon who might think he took out enough and stops. And then when im home with relaxed nipples, ill still have the same problem.

What do you do to ensure that nipple contraction wont throw you off? Or can you? 
Thanks.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Although a contracted nipple may temporarily make your chest look OK, you may have substantially more excess tissue than you would think.  Your concerns are valid -- but I assure you that any experienced gyne surgeon will take that into account while doing your surgery.

The best advice is to take your time, do your research, and find an experienced gyne surgeon expert in your area -- or consider traveling for such expertise.  It will be well worth your while.

Dr Jacobs 
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Good question and I understand your concern. Just prior to surgery your surgeon will reassess and probably draw / mark all over you. Experienced gynecomastia surgeons are knowledgeable about the changes you describe. They know from experience how much tissue to leave beneath the nipple. Good luck.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Most experienced gynecomastia surgeons are familiar with the anatomy of the region to help provide the best chance of a good result by knowing how much to take and what to leave behind.  Over-resection can be more difficult to correct that under-resection, since options such as fat flaps or fat grafting are often required, but the best option is to get a good result the first time around.
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024