Author Topic: I wished I could do something about it.  (Read 1695 times)

Offline tandoori_delight

My story - Gynecomastia
I was born and raised in India (1980’s) where the word ‘Gynecomastia’ I had never heard of or read about, neither did my parents. I am still not sure how my parents reacted to my Male boobs as I grew up (but they were quiet obvious to be ignored). We never talked about it. I was once taunted to lose weight by my Mom so my T shirts won’t look like that. I being 12 year old believed it was my body fat and the fact that I don’t play sports, which has given me male boobs.  I did not like going for swimming or gym or anywhere where I may potentially have to be shirtless. I was confused about my sexuality which added to the dilemma. I grew up fighting my complexities and my inferiority complex.  Being different from others is not easy. I learned to ignore it and live with it - my body is different and I need to live with it. But, I wished I could do something about it.
At 16, I figured out I had good height, a reasonably cute face, a good personality and I can hide my male boobs well by wearing loose fitting shirts and layers (in winter).  I tricked myself to believe no one notices them or cares about them.  I refused to enter water (I used to tell all I am phobic to water) and pool/beaches I avoided. But, there were always some curious taunts and questions. I never discussed my concern with anyone including my family. I had friends, I has family, I had hobbies and I did well in school. I never ever let this become my prime concern. I wished sometimes I could do something about it – but I had no solution. Gym membership enhanced by other parts and my confidence went up! My bulky shoulders and muscular legs got me enough compliments and dating was easy. In bed I used to be conscious but I never has someone who was insulting (Thankfully). Often my date would like to play with it – which disgusted me. The thought would come sometimes - I wish I could do something about it.
At 21 I landed in USA, beaches and pool were now unavoidable, I took my chances and would often go shirtless on beaches. An occasional stare or two would come. They are not that bad would be my self-coaching to myself. Maybe the Americans would think it just an Indian thing!! After all middle aged Indian men do have tummy and male boobs (?). Dating was not a concern any more. My confidence level was high – My Male Boobs did not stop me from going to a club or going on a date or to hook –up. I think I did well. Still when I looked at the mirror on some days and wished I could do something about it – but I had no solution.
At 26, I was making enough money, it is than that I looked online and read more about Gynecomastia. Not sure what took me so long to google it (May be I did not want to confront it). After 6 months of checking out a local surgeon’s website, I decided to just go for a consultation. It is when he looked at me, checked my male chest and said – ‘this won’t go my dear, not by gym’, I knew I had a medical condition. It needed intervention – a surgery. I was naïve and desperate, I got lucky I went to the right doctor. In a week I got my surgery done. I had money, I could afford it. Why not?
Surgery Story:
At work - I am taking a medical leave for a 4 days and it is a long weekend so I had some a solid week to recover. HR – what’s wrong with you, some growth inwards in body need to be removed? They agreed.
Friends - some growth inwards in body need to be removed? They raised an eyebrow. Questions came in later which I deflected.
Family – I was in USA. I am 36 now, no one knows about this surgery until now.
But they needed an emergency contact and I had to come out to one friend who lived close to hospital. She did not agree with my decision – she said they are normal. I said decision has been made. She helped – thank god!
Surgery:
A combination of liposuction and Tissue Excision. Googles tells you what that is, I just put my trust in medical industry.
I was given general Anesthesia. My first time in a hospital and I went alone – I think I was brave (little stupid).  SO you don’t recall anything. You are not supposed to eat before surgery. I woke up post-surgery, very slight pain in chest ( I thought this was easy). Later as I reached home pain would go up! Pain killers help a big deal! I could walk talk and do my own business the same day. I rested.
NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS ALONE _ I WAS STUPID NOT BRAVE!
When the dressing was pulled out I thought it was all flat and I was so happy! But in 2-3 weeks the results went from 10/10 to 8/10. I was asked to wait for 3 months to see final results. I resumed work in 1 week. I wore the compression garment and you just get used to it with time. In a month I joined my gym but avoided heave chest workout.
3 months after surgery:
A correction surgery was needed. The nipples had some sag. This did cause anxiety. Surgery result was now 6/10, still happy with surgery, I was offered free corrective surgery if I paid for anesthesia. So the process was repeated, though this time I knew the paid, the care part! I took care of myself well and was back in office earlier.
Life afterwards:
I am happy with my surgery I will give it 8/10. I am not completely flat chested as I had imagined. But, they are normal and go with my body structure. If I lose weight I am sure it will go flat.
I do have nipple look alike from where they drained out fat. No other scars. Incisions near nipples are not visible at all( considering my brown this is a plus for us). Do your research on scars post-surgery.
Life is normal, no complications. I look good and feel good. I wear what I want to wear – my wardrobe now is T shirts mostly! I missed wearing T shirts in my teenage! Hey, better late than never.
My nipples gained back sensitivity over the years, for some this might impact sex life. I remember them being almost dead post-surgery. You do need to be careful post-surgery for a year at least to avoid accidents.
Yes I LOVE beaches and finally learned to swim at 28J! I see this as a long term issue –resolved. Though it did not stop me from living, it did bother me.
My advice:
Live your life, Self-pity takes you nowhere, don’t let these male boobs take over your life. Surgery or no surgery – this is not a death trap and you can live with it.  I had just as much fun before surgery as I did after. Surgery just enhanced my confidence and helped me feel normal. Living with gynecomastia successfully has taught me, body cannot stop us from being happy and achieving our dreams!
Talk about it with close family and friends. I wish I did. I am sure they would have understood. Parents need to be more aware and should reach out for help. Mental health counseling is important and should seek out for same before and after surgery.
Consult multiple doctors choose one whom you trust, talk to few patients. Be aware of complications. Scars which may come. Results vary from person to person.  Go to a certified reputed doctor.
Do not rush, take your time. Any surgery should be a last resort.
My doctor:
Stephen X Giunta, MD
4216 King St
Aesthetic Plastic Surgery International
Alexandria, VA 22302

Phone number (703) 845-7400

hammer

Great post with great advice!

I'm 59 and I've have gynecomatia as long as I can remember!  I never let it stop me from doing anything, but I know I come from different times! I served my country with breasts, had my own business with breast, fathered 5 children and now have my 6th grandchild on the way, and due to health issues I've grown to 46H!  

People need to learn not to let the gyno control their lives, but control how they feel about the gyno!

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

Bob

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024