Author Topic: Nipples Still Puffy after Surgery(Liposuction)  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Sudipto1998

I am from India, The State of West Bengal and the City of Kolkata.
I am a fitness enthusiast, I workout 5 days a week, Play Competitive Badminton at College Level and maintain a balanced diet. A person can identify that I hit the gym regularly by looking at me. Only I have Puffy Nipples, when its hot and humid my nipples are puffy, but when its cold It looks like I have an aesthetically build chest and the puffiness is gone for like few seconds or so.
For the Same I did a lot of reading in this community and got the idea that I have Grade I Gynecomastia, I went to Apollo Gleneagles Hospital and had a word with my Surgeon, he told me that It'll go away and you'll have a normal chest after a liposuction. So On 11th of July 2018 I had my surgery on both of my nipples(liposuction) and my Bandages were removed on 19th of July 2018 after that I was given a compression garment and was told to wear that for 3 months, Yes 3 months! To my Utter disappointment Before wearing my Compression garment I noticed that my chest looked pretty much the same, I still have puffy nipples. I told the surgeon, he told me there's swelling and scar tissues and it'll take time to heal. I had no option but to agree as he said.
Now it's almost 2 weeks and I know it's way to early to pass a judgement but my nipples are just the same. I know it takes around 6 months for actual pragmatic results but after a surgery there should at least be some sort of improvement! My nipples are just the way it was 2 weeks before.
I'll have a word with my Surgeon again in August and I'm already considering a re surgery from any other place after 3 months. I'm sure even after 3 months it'll still be puffy as I see no sign of changes
Now my Doubt it What should I do now, let the Mother nature decide? It is really embarrassing, especially when you look aesthetic. I had to hide my puffiness using a 1 inch micropore
Alas! I cannot tell a surgeon what to do. I cannot say to him that liposuction along with Excision was needed.
Please Guide me! It'll be much appreciated
I am uploading some pictures after 12 days of surgery

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Unfortunately,liposuction alone very rarely is adequate treatment for puffy nipples.  It does require surgical removal of the underlying breast tissue, which is the cause of the problem.

You can learn a great deal about puffy nipples by referring to my website (captioned below) and going to the section on puffy nipples (under the menu for gynecomastia).

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Sudipto1998

Sir, The content Available on your Website for puffy nipples is much informative.
 Now as mentioned in your website should I wait for 6 months, then tell my doctor that an excision of the gland is needed.
Or shall I just Wait for 3 months and Consult another Surgeon and tell about my failed liposuction. The surgeon will proceed to  what needs to be done.
At least Now I'm sure of What needs to be done. 
Thank You!

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It would be wise to wait until at least 6 months has passed since surgery in order to be sure that any residual healing activity has quieted down and the swelling from surgery is down.  Then either visit your surgeon or seek another surgeon's opinion.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs

Offline Sudipto1998

Thank You for the information Sir.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
I agree with Dr. Jacobs. Regadless of technique / approach, the gland needs to be adequately removed. Frequently this takes more than just lipo. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:53:31 PM by Dr. Schuster »
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline Sudipto1998

Thank You for the information Sir.
Yet, Can I have my re-surgery after 3 months or do I have to wait another 6 months?
Plus the the Doctor said to wear the compression garment for 3 months. Its been only a week and the nipples are still puffy. Can I wear it for another week and let go of the compression garment? It's actually of no use now as no excision were made.  

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Revision surgery is best done when the healing from your initial surgery is almost complete -- which is roughly six months after surgery.

Compression can be of help after surgery -- it reduces swelling and aids healing.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 05:36:36 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with the other surgeons, including the need for glandular excision as an integral part of the resection process, especially when the nipples are puffy pre-operatively, and in any case where medication or anabolic steroids are involved, as the glandular element is usually significant.  I would continue with your compression garment for at least 4 to 6 weeks, as there's benefit to that following liposuction for control of swelling, pain and to help with some shaping.  You did, after all, have a liposuction procedure, and the compression is part of that management. Finally, I would give it 6 months before proceeding with further surgery.  
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024