Author Topic: help_me87's life with gyne...  (Read 8334 times)

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
  • boobs=gone. nipples=puffy. NO!!!
ive posted many times before.. but i thought i should add something here...

to start things, here are my stats: 16 yrs, 160 lbs, 6'2", gyne for almost four years.

it all really started in the summer, at a friend's pool when he said "damn, youve got boobs!" I shrugged it off, and just swam... didnt really think twice about it at the time. The next summer, my sister noticed it, again, at a pool, and thats really where it all started. Ive lived with gynecomastia for the four years, and until about six months ago, had never really discussed it with anyone.. kind of my dark little secred. I am pretty sure my mom was always aware something wasnt quite right, but never approached me, probably waiting until i was ready to talk about it. Well about six months ago, my sister asked to see my boobs, and i refused to lift my shirt.... shes a nursing student, and was curious to see how things were progressing. We sort of fought about it for a while.. and she dropped the issue, but then must have gone to my mom and told her about the ordeal. Well since that, my mom has become completely involved, and i have seen three doctors, had two blood tests (which came back completely normal), and am scheduled for a consultation with a PS at the end of october. Through the years with the problem, i have looked for ways to hide the portrusions from my chest, and have resulted to semi-baggy clothes, and slouching. As a result, Ive started to develop back pain from the slouch, which isnt making things any better. To top it all off, the long wait for surgery. its months away, and i dont know if i can really wait that long... ill go nuts... i read all of these awesome results on the site, and i cant believe i have to wait like 3 months. Told my mom that, and again, she set out to help me. She called to see if there was a waiting list that i could be put on that could get me into the doctor's earlier, but no such luck. As for the costs of the surgery, whatever my parents plan and the government dont cover, my parents are willing to pay.

anyway, I guess all i really have to say is how much living with gynecomastia sucks, and how much a supportive family can help. Now, all of the members of my immediate family are aware of the problem, and only talk about it when i bring it up, so i am comfortable and not caught off guard. Im now very comfortable with it, and would encourage anyone who is struggling to talk to their family, they can help.

thanks for reading it... any replies are appreciated.
Surgery Complete!
April 14, 2005

Offline noshirt

• Silver Member
  • Surgery done on 5/20/04
lets see, october. 6 months from then is april right?  sounds like you'll be healed just in time for shirtless season at least.
maybe you'll get in before then.  plus youll have the vest on the coldest part of the year, which beats the hell out of having it on when its in the 80's (trust me) hang in there man

Offline tornado

• Silver Member
Pick a good P.S.  make sure your are right and will not grow out of this.  The surgery is life long.  PLEASE REMEMBER.........  Many others are in the same boat as you.. Hang in there.  It will work out..

Good luck...

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
Pick a good P.S.  make sure your are right and will not grow out of this.  The surgery is life long.  PLEASE REMEMBER.........  Many others are in the same boat as you.. Hang in there.  It will work out..

Good luck...

thanks... about your reply... im not growing out of it.., and the PS was chosen by my family doc... hopefully everything works out... and ive always wanted to wear one of those "wifebeater" muscle tee-shirts... lol..

Offline wolfgang8565

• Bronze Member
  • Life goes on!!! Yeah right...
yeah i know wut you mean im 19 and have had gyno for about 7/8 years but i did notice it...all my life middle school and high school ive been covering my chest up and wearing loose clothes in up to 100 degree temp and it sux!!! but im trying that andractim stuff i already ordered it...oh and i told my mom and she just says i dont see anything and "who cares!" so hopefully this stuff works.

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
the first consultation date draws ever closer, and im starting to get a little nervous about questions to ask, and the actual surgery of course...

ive asked around and cant seem to get a clear answer... how long after your first consultation do they book for surgery...

im not sure what to do... if (s)he wants to book me right away.. i dunno if i want to.. cause its still hot out.. and school... so people could see a vest or bandages.. but we might go to florida for christmas.. and it would be nice to be somewhat healed by then....

or am i dreaming? is (s)he going to tell me its gunna be a 6 month wait or something....

guess i just want the day to come.

Offline jayk0523

• Posting Member
  • Tee-shirts aren't my thing man!
My consult is Nov. 15th, they said at my PS office that they generally book the procedure 2 - 3 weeks from the consultation date....I hope this helps, and Yes it does help telling your family, It has been a huge relief, and now when i read what all of us are going through it almost makes me laugh or smile because I can completely understand the insanity of this condition and what it did to me for so long.  It will be so great for someone not to have to ask me why im wearing a windbreaker in 95 degree weather, especially when im sweating and I claim that I'm cold...I guess that's better than the alternative of , "hey man you've got boobs!"

Hope this helps
When the number of cups of coffee equal or exceed the number of hours slept in a night, great things are on the verge of happening!

Offline greenman21

• Posting Member
Hey man

I've had gyno scince 14 years old. I feel your pain. I can totally can relate to the swimming pool story. Keep at it but choose you'r PS wisely I've been too 3 already and going to see one in Toronto so shop around. This type of surgery is an art form, and personaly I wouldn't want some "art student" I want a "picaso"

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
Well, since I last posted, i had my consultation.. and my worst fears came true.... he told me that he generally doesn't operate on people as young as me (now 17), and to wait and see my progress when I turn 20.... TWENTY?!?! so that was a waste of time and hope..

anyway... i have another consultation with a more reputable doc this week.. and i'll keep you posted with how things go.

Offline greenman21

• Posting Member
I'm suprised that he wouldn't help you at 17, I went to a PS when I was about 16 and was turned away too the sh*ty thing is that eventually the fat on the chest turns into actual breast tissue and the is what makes the surgury complicated. but who knows maybe the next surgen will help you out. also if you get the surgury done before you turn 18 helth care covers everything.

good luck

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
Well, from all of this.. there is finally a success story. The doc was very nice and understanding.. and explained my options... lipo or surgery... surgery is completely covered.. lipo  you have to pay for.. but the benefits or lipo are way greater... less scarring, better recovery, better looking after the surgery.... the only down side is the cost... 3000 and something i think it is.... and my parents are up for it... so thats what im getting. Sometime in april i think... so i should be good for the summer... anyone want to share lipo experiences? I want to know what i'm in for!

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
by all rights, the problem is a problem, and the method used should depend on the doc's best judgment as to which will fix it most effectively.  

excision might not be that bad.  if he switches to lipo in midstream, maybe it won't count ;-)  
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
Booked for mid-april - lipo! ... and lucky to get in... someone cancelled the day before my appointment.. otherwise he was booked until sept!

on the initial appointment, i saw photos... and everything looked good... thanks for the concern.. someone had mentioned that to me with the first doc i went to see (which by the way.. he didnt have any)

he sounds like he knows what hes talking about too.. and the walls are covered in degrees and diplomas... so im have confidence.

anyway.. this is a good week.... i cant believe in a month i'll be on the mend!

Offline nukem2k5

• Breasts belong on women!
That's great to hear, man.  However, I'm under the impression that the problem exists because of the gland, which is removed through excision, not lipo, and that lipo really doesn't have as great an effect as removing the otherwise non-removable gland.

I definitely want to have the gland taken out, and I'll tell the doc that when I see him for my consultation in two months.  I'm pretty upset that I'll have half of my summer taken away by this but it's better than all of it taken away by gyno.  That is if I even get surgery as soon as I'd like.  It's too soon for me to know anything, and it's killing me.  I just want it overwith, so I can understand how you've been feeling.  

I'm happy that you're getting it taken care of finally :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 05:57:43 AM by nukem2k5 »
Reborn on May 24, 2005
Surgery Cost: $4,040
Dr. David Metzner - New Orleans, LA
My Photos
Two Years Post-Op Photos

Offline help_me87

• Silver Member
my glands have toned themselves down, and now i can barely feel them.. so im not sore or tender any  more.. however i have some tissue, and puffy nips.. so thats why we went the lypo route.. also.. the less scarring issue will be worth the $$

the one thing i learned was to be patient... it took me at least one year until i was even talking about surgery with any surgeons... i thought i had a good thing.. didnt work out.. moved to the next guy... the waiting lists are HUGE.... anyway.. hang in there.

i'll update after my pre-op  appointment in a few weeks

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024