Author Topic: About compression vests...  (Read 3082 times)

Offline jigupse

• Posting Member
Well, I had my surgery on 31st Oct  2009 and am pretty satisfied with my results. I have posted my suregery experience and post op pics in the following thread.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19320.0

The thing is, when I went to get the bandages and surgical compression vest removed on 2nd November, the doctor told me that I do not require any compression garments to wear hence forth. I was kinda surprised because most of the post here that I have read, points to patients wearing these vests for about 4-6 weeks. I asked the doctor about this and he seemed pretty confident about his advice.

Now I have also read some 1 or 2 posts in this forum where people have said that even their docs didnt advise them to wear the compression garment. So my question now is ( if these guys are reading this) did you heal well and good without the compression vest?

Or do all of you guys think that the compression vest is a must?

To give a background info, I had an lipo+excision, no drains were attached and was released from the hospital after a 7 hour stay on the same day.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Every surgeon has his own techniques, based on his own learning and experience.  What does count is the final result -- not the road by which you got to the final result.

For my patients, I feel firm compression is extremely important -- and I provide a very snug compression garment to be worn 24/7 for 4-6 weeks.  I feel it limits any possible post-operative swelling, oozing, allows the skin to tighten and it actually makes the patient feel more "secure" after the procedure.  It is an acknowledged pain in the neck -- but a necessary one.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Well, I had my surgery on 31st Oct  2009 and am pretty satisfied with my results. I have posted my suregery experience and post op pics in the following thread.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19320.0

The thing is, when I went to get the bandages and surgical compression vest removed on 2nd November, the doctor told me that I do not require any compression garments to wear hence forth. I was kinda surprised because most of the post here that I have read, points to patients wearing these vests for about 4-6 weeks. I asked the doctor about this and he seemed pretty confident about his advice.

Now I have also read some 1 or 2 posts in this forum where people have said that even their docs didnt advise them to wear the compression garment. So my question now is ( if these guys are reading this) did you heal well and good without the compression vest?

Or do all of you guys think that the compression vest is a must?

To give a background info, I had an lipo+excision, no drains were attached and was released from the hospital after a 7 hour stay on the same day.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Each surgeon has his / her own techniques. Unfortunately, few surgeons show how tissues evolve after surgery for their methods.

After Surgery Compression Vests are a critical element for my patients' Comfort with Gynecomastia Surgery and Swelling / Bruising After Male Breast Reduction.  For my patients such compression is mandatory and starts in the operating room.  We fit each patient with both a First Stage Compression Vest and a Second Stage Vest.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  Up until recently, the second stage vest was optional. For years I have told my patients I can see the scars of every one of my gynecomastia patients. For the past several years we have had quite a few patients where they and I can not really see the scars. The longer compression is the main change, so I now make that mandatory to optimize scars.

Hello--I usually don't like compression vests--sure they look nice and can be put on easily--BUT THEY SIMPLY DON"T PROVIDE THE NECESSARY COMPRESSION.  Instead, I use a binder which has two and sometimes three overlapping straps which fasten with velcro.  Easy on and easy off, and you can vary the tightness as much as necessary.  I prefer the binder to be worn fairly snug (but not so tight that you can't breathe).  Usually my patients will take it off after two days for their first (and subsequent shower).  It has done its job after three weeks and you can kiss it good-by.  I don't like Ace bandages--too much of a fuss.

Dr. Jacobs 
New York City

If there is a superior technique, surgeons will tend to evolve towards it as you can see from the posts in this forum.  The compression vest is just too important a tool in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024