Author Topic: How do crater deformities, creases occur?  (Read 2548 times)

Offline nippletrrouble

• Posting Member
i was wondering how easy it is to get inverted nipples or a crater deformity from gyno surgery. How is it caused? And how can it be fixed?

The craters occur as a lapse in the skin from too much taken away or remaining residual gland tethering the skin?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In football vernacular, "The best offense is a good defense."

In gyne surgery, the best results are achieved by taking precautions during surgery so that one does not get a crater afterwards.  In essence, if the surgeon sees a contour irregularity or crater deformity on the operating table, then he should make all reasonable efforts to correct it then and there, because it is not going to get better on its own afterwards.  During surgery, swelling has not yet started -- so the surgeon can appreciate what the eventual results will be.  He should make sure the chest tissues under the skin are smooth and even -- and then there will be no crater deformities.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I agree with Dr. Jacobs.  Avoiding over-resection or uneven resection in surgery is how craters are avoided.  Inverted nipples can occur in spite of careful attention to what is left behind under the areola, and while it is not common, I have had a couple of patients where this has occurred.  This has been temporary in most cases, probably related to swelling of the sub-areolar remnant, and the nipples project normally once the swelling resolves.  I've only corrected inverted nipples following correction of gynecomastia once that I can recall.  The others either resolved on their own or didn't bother the patients.  (I have had a few patients who had inverted nipples pre-operatively, and they didn't care to do anything with them.)

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery