Author Topic: about compression vests  (Read 5923 times)

Offline ace007

• Posting Member
After 2 weeks of constantly wearing compression vests, does it matter if you leave it off for a few hours a day from now on?

Offline happyguy

• Posting Member
I´ve been thinking about that myself. I´m on day 6 post op and the only thing that´s buggin me really is the compression vest. For one thing, I´d love to wash it! It´s not amazingly comfortable, either.

My doctor said that I should wear it for three weeks after the op and that I could take it off for one hour max. After three weeks I can start using a tight fitting bicycle shirt, don´t know exactly what she means but I´m going shopping tomorrow!

My idea is to use this tight bike shirt when I wash the compression vest. Feels risky to not wear the vest for several hours ... but that´s just me. Good luck to you!

Offline freelife123

My doc told me to wear the garment for  8-12 hours everyday.

Its also better to get another garment for 2 reasons:-
1. u can wash n switch between both the garments.
2. after 2 weeks of surgery, generally there is significant change in the chest size and structure. so for adequate pressure, a new garment is preferred.

did u get ur garment stitched or buy a standard size??

Offline jones357

• Silver Member
Everyone gets different advice from their PS.  Mine took me out of the vest after one week.  I still use it about 10 hours per day, and  feel like it helps.  

Happyguy- Most PS will give you two.  I am surpirsed you only got one.  Mine itches so bad, and I wash it all of the time.  You should wash yours.  Just get an Under Armour shirt to wear while you are washing it.  I don't want to tell you that you can go without, but I do.  

Offline ace007

• Posting Member
I was wondering if it matters if you only wear your compression vest only while you sleep after 2 weeks of consistent wear.  The vest bugs, especially b/c of the summer heat.  What's your guys take on this?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 02:05:05 PM by ace007 »

Offline johndow

question..is this vest noticable..like could u get away with wearing it at school ???

Offline JesusIsMyHomeBoy

I'm only 24hours after op and I wasn't given any compression vest or anything, I was just told to get as much rest as I could. Is this normal or should I go about getting a vest?

Offline brahms

• Posting Member
How long did you guys get told to where the compression vest?  I haven't had surgery yet, but the doc's secretary where I am at told me that after surgery I am supposed to wear the vest for 3 months after surgery.  I was like, "are you kidding me?!"  So, what about you guys?  How long did the doc tell you that you had to weat the vest?

Offline Eric Robertson

• Bronze Member
  • It's time to spread the word about Gynecomastia
I'm only 24hours after op and I wasn't given any compression vest or anything, I was just told to get as much rest as I could. Is this normal or should I go about getting a vest?

Yes, you probably should have recieved a compression vest.  I would ask your doctor about that.

I went through 3 weeks with that compression garmet and I know how it feels to wear it. IT SUCKS! However, I went on a plane back home(had surgery in another state) and found that EXTREMELY uncomfortable.  I can tell you that if you wear the compression garmet to school, it wouldn't be noticable.  I wouldn't wear it to work because I found it very uncomfortable to wear at work, but would immediatly put it on after work.  After two weeks of wearing the compression garmet I would take it off for a few hours a day to relax.  I feels really, really good when you do not have to wear it anymore.  

All in all, it depends on how well you want to heal.  The compression garmet you're wearing, you wear for a reason.  That is to break down some of the scar tissue in the early stages of healing.  I suggest wearing it for mostly the whole day, with the exception of taking a 3-4 hour break with it off.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:10:10 AM by Oleska »
Surgery Date: 6/06/06
Surgeon: Dr. Elliot Jacobs M.D., F.A.C.S., F.I.C.S., P.C.
Procedure: Liposuction and incision under the nipple.
Cost: $6,500
Discovery Health: Plastic Surgery Before and After I was featured in: http://www.gynecomastianewyork.com/teen_dhc_video1.html

Offline iceman1460

• Posting Member
I have been experiencing some sever itching with the garment. My shoulders have gone red and bumpy, it is really gettin to me as i cnt even sleep as it itches me soo much. any one elseexperincing this???
please helpwith any suggestions

thanks

Offline ihategyne0

• Posting Member
i got surgery 5 days ago... the doctor never gave me a vest.. all he gave me was 2 foam pads and a strap to wrap around my chest.. one pad for each side.. but then i do have a gyne compression vest i bought from ebay before i had surgery...it was  nice and tight.. i used it to keep my chest flat.. will i be able to use the vest instead of these pads? these pads can get really annoying and i have to keep them on for 3 weeks

Offline cabtex

My doctor said to wear it for four (4) weeks.  He did say, though, that there is little medical research to suggest that there is much benefit after three (3) weeks.  I would say get at least another week in.  Underarmour works great for working out.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024