Author Topic: why compression vests?  (Read 4184 times)

Offline oscar

• Posting Member
Hi everyone -

just had a (free, day case) revision with levick, and havent got a compression vest this time round. FYI it was just for some extra lumps/scar tissue around LHS, RHS is absolutely perfect. Delighted with Levick, the man is a legend, and his work is v professional, makes you feel perfectly at ease etc.

Thing is, havent got a compression vest this time round. Am wearing a bandage at night, just want to know what exactly is the comp vest for? is it just to keep swelling down for the short term> as if this is the case i would rather just not wear one.

Or does is affect the end result> if this is the case of course i will invest (excuse terrible pun)

Cheers, and thanks everyone on this thread youve been a great help.

Osc

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
if this is your second surgery and - as you say - Mr Levick is so proffesional, how come he didnt explain about compression vests!!!

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
if this is your second surgery and - as you say - Mr Levick is so proffesional, how come he didnt explain about compression vests!!!

Oscar says “Thing is, havent got a compression vest this time round”.  Presumably he dumped his vests after his first surgery thinking he wouldn't need them again.  I'll make a note to hang onto mine then just in case  ;).

Mr Levick gives all his patients at the initial consultation a blue folder.  There is a lot of information in there about all aspects of the surgery, recovery etc as well information about compression vests and how long to wear them for.  I'd say that was pretty professional.

As to why we wear them, yes, it is to reduce post operative swelling and fluid build up.

Good luck Oscar and keep us posted as to how you get on?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:32:57 AM by Time_to_fix_it »
Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline oscar

• Posting Member
he did explain over 2 years ago when i first saw him, have forgotten.

Can anyone respond to my question ?!

i needed revision just to get rid of a bit of left over scar tissue, LHS

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Can anyone respond to my question ?!

A compression garment is worn to help your flesh re-adhere.

John.
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline Techhie

• Posting Member
  • The Best Decision I ever made! FlatChest Rules!!
From my experience so far, I can't imagine not having had a compression vest.

I ended up with two vests because of size issues at pre-op. Been alternating them. I see it as a tool for for several reasons. Minimize fluid build up, keep my skin in place. When I first was taking showers and bent over to dry my feet and calves, ouch! Use it to hold rolled up washcloths I put under my vest to help squeeze out fluids at various locations on my chest. I do this at night while I am sleeping. At first it was uncomfortable, especially under my arms where I had a lot of initial cording from the chest lateral. Once my pits calmed down and I started wearing close fitting t-shirts under my vests (2 weeks out or so), the comfort level went way up.
It has been interesting the things I didn't realize pre-op. At my first post-op my PS was examining my chest results six days post. After checking me over he said, "Now you have to get started working on creating the chest you want and how you want it to look." I was a bit freaked and didn't want that responsibility.  :o
Now I see my fears were unfounded and the compression vest is a valuable tool in my work on me and my chest.
At my second post-op my PS was extremely pleased with the work I had done so far and we feel I will/have a most excellent result.

Thank you for your post!
BTW: yes, i would recommend a c-vest.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:20:07 AM by Techhie »
9.0 weeks Post-Op! And talk about Excellent Results! WhewHew!!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024