Author Topic: Anyone cure their own gynecomastia?  (Read 17462 times)

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
Anyone cure their grynecomastia without surgery? I've found some stories on here that makes me think it's partially possible though improbable. I'm talking about real gynecomastia and not pseudo-gynecomastia. I've had it since I was a young boy, and in those days no doctor would recommend anything. Now it sounds like docs are more responsive, and I feel for the young men that have this issue.

I'm in my forties, and never have been a dedicated fitness buff, but have always been relatively healthy. I started a serious diet low in saturated fats, and high in protein especially whey shakes. I began gradually building up my endurance. At first I couldn't spend ten minutes on the cardio equipment. I've learned a little along the way, and I'd like to share it. I'm not here to endorse any products, but I do think I've helped my condition get better. In the end after many months of exercise, weight loss, and supplements, I think it is vastly improved. That said, I still think surgery is a better option. Not everyone has the money, but by the time I count up all of my expenses from gym membership, food changes, and supplements, maybe it's not really so expensive.

Here's my regimen just because I want to give something back after lurking through the forums for so long.

I went through a series of phases. Each phase lasted four weeks. I'm on my fourth phase, and seriously my gynecomastia is about half as large. I'm very curious to see if I will totally cure it in 16 more weeks. I'm too shy to post pics, but I admit that I'm a very pragmatic person, and took some pictures along the way by using a built in digital camera attached to a computer. I find that it's seriously helpful to get some sort of visual feedback that way and take them about once a week. I take a picture from the front and side. If you place an arm under your chest, your pectoral muscles will flex, and you'll be able to feel with your fingers where the fat layer lies and where the glandular tissue is.

Phase 1:
I got an inexpensive gym membership, and did lots of reading. I had no endurance at all, and wanted to be able to exercise everyday. It's not healthy to exercise the same body part everyday, so I deliberately worked Arms/Chest/Back on one day, and then Legs/Shoulders/Abs on the other. Most exercises work a primary group of muscles, and then some secondarily. To be honest, for some exercises, it's hard to completely split the two. Talk to a gym trainer for some help. It was really easy to get sore doing this. Even a little injury would result in a week without exercise, so I was very cautious. I worked out only by myself, so I used Cybex machines since I didn't have a spotter. My goal was to workout one hour per day. Did about ten minutes on the eliptical machine on the easiest level.

I knew I was obese. I weighed 232 lbs and I'm 5' 9". So the gym had a digital fat measurement device, and I was about 34 % body fat. That's a hard thing to admit to yourself. Onward and upward. I started charting it where I could see it everyday.

I cut out all sweets and most complex carbs like pasta and bread. I kept eating an occasional baked potato or a small amount of rice. Stopped all alcohol consumption. Ate only tuna or chicken breasts for protein from meat. Ate salad and vegetables shooting for 7 portions per day. Occasionally ate berries or bananas, mostly through whey protein shakes. At first I would eat a Cliff bar as a meal replacement for breakfasts and lunch. I stopped doing that since soy protein is supposed to increase estrogen levels.

Phase 2:
After a month of going to the gym most days, I really started to get empowered. I lost ten lbs the first month and started to think I could keep up the pace. No injuries except some minor soreness for which I took an analgesic. Started taking Hydroxycut. Makes me feel jittery so cut out all other caffeine. It does get me more of a pump at the gym so I'm working out harder.

Diet-wise, I started to realize that my potassium levels were off from all the sweating. I seriously though about about making my own Gatorade since corn syrup is an ingredient. There are recipes out there on the Internet, but in the end I stayed with G2 gatorade since it's half the calories. It stopped much of the cramping or shakiness after a long session. I only allowed myself a small bottle once a day post workout.

Foodwise I would have a whey protein smoothie first thing before my workout with half a banana and some berries. For lunch, the same thing. I'd get hungry about 3:30 and eat a low fat yogurt. For supper I would eat as in Phase 1. I did notice around 10:00pm that I was ravenous. Occasionally I would cheat, and once I did, I would really overeat. Occasionally took Hoodia at 9 pm to stave off the hunger, but still by 1:00 am I was hungry. Oh well, just hole up in your room and read.

Kept up my split routine for exercise except stretched it into two hours per day. Cybex machines for one full hour, cardio for a full hour. Paid no attention to heart rate. This was a mistake.

Lost another ten lbs.

Phase 3:
I'm in better shape. Started keeping a journal. I tried to make my exercise routine more scientific. My strength and endurance are far better. I've noticed that the fat portion of my gynecomastia is far smaller.

I ordered some 'diet aid of questionable value'. It's loaded with the same ingredients as Hydroxycut. Stopped the Hydroxycut since it was way too much caffeine and other stimulants. I did notice a gradual reduction in the glandular portion of my gynecomastia.

Saw a tapering off of my weight loss. For two weeks thought more was better, so I actually did two workouts of two hours per day. Felt exhausted all the time, and actually had to increase food levels to get a good workout. Knew this wasn't working, so went to a bodybuilder website, and looked under body transformations. Found out a lot more about exercise. Changed my workout significantly by monitoring heart rate (keeping it 120-130 to break down fat, and switching my cardio to no longer than 20-30 per exercise). Longer periods of cardio make you breathless, and so more of an anerobic exercise is taking place making you work the heart muscle. My resting heart rate is now 110-120, and even after an hour of cardio, I can keep it under 140. Got down to 205 and couldn't lose any more weight.

Diet stayed the same.

Phase 4:
Read about Nivea's Goodbye Cellulite. It contains L-Carnitine, an ingredient used in topical fat burning products used by bodybuilders. Even after 3 days of using it saw some dramatic changes on my stomach and chest. You take a pill too included in the package. There are pads you can buy for trouble spots. Bought a package but saving it until next month. Actually feel like I have a chest again.

Started limited tanning since it is supposed to increase testosterone production. No tanning beds: too expensive.

Started taking Tumeric. It's supposed to be good for treating gyne,we'll see.

I drink one 32 oz Powerade a day to keep my energy and potasium levels up. I figure I need the boost in energy regardless of the corn syrup.

Exercise-wise I work out everyday now for two hours...sometimes that stretches into three when I count everything. I work only a single body part a day i.e. Arms but I do 4 sets of ten reps with a minimum of 5 exercises. Since I switched the program, I've seen some pretty excellent strength gains. I'm not overtraining one area anymore, and there's less soreness. I have huge endurance on the cardio equipement. When I get off after 30 minutes, I feel strong. I do at least two cardio exercises. Sometimes I'll do a 3rd set on alternate days. I do eliptical everyday since it works the upper body, and row on alternate days. By changing the way you grip the rowing bar you can really work out the arms, although most of the exercise is for the back and quadricepts. There is some exercise of the pecs.

In the evenings, I started a walking/running program. It can be found at Runner's World. It's for beginners who have never run before. By swinging my arms  as I run I hope to lose even more from my pec fat as I swing my arms.

The biggest change was doing the assisted chin-up station. I do mostly dipping exercises for my pecs and triceps. On my "Back" day, I do some chinups and some wide grip exercises, and in doing those I do feel some minor pec usage. Most people can't do chin-ups unassisted, so the machine really makes you stronger. Now I'm doing mostly dumbbell exercises for chest and cable crossovers. When I exercise I really exert myself even grunting out loud to get the lift. Who cares what the other people think, I'm on a mission.

Foodwise, I now eat a small yogurt and half a banana before workout, and a whey shake afterwards. I'll squeeze in a sandwhich between 12-2 and eat a normal but smaller portion supper. I still like to eat tuna or chicken since they're lower in fat.

I take 3 Omega-3 fat pills with my first meal. Omega-3s are supposed to grab on to liberated fat from exercise, and then help them to be reprocessed by the liver. The important thing to realize from fat loss is that let's say a pound of fat is lost per week. That's about 3500 calories, so figure 500 per day of exercising. If you're liberating fat from the Nivea Carnitine lotion or just through exercise, you've got to increase your activity to burn the extra fat. If you lower your caloric consumtion, you'll lower your metabolism, and gain nothing. The hardest thing has been to be intentional about watching heart rate while exercising to keep in the fat burning zone (120-140).

I now weigh 196 lbs and my BMI is 23.5. I'd like to go for a target weight of 180 lbs, and increase my muscle portion and drop my fat portion down to 15%. I'm going to stay on this regimen for the next few weeks. I take a pinch test of my chest and see about an inch more that I'd like to lose. I won't know if I have puffy nipples when I finish. Many body builders talk about having this. If my chest is ripped and larger then at that point maybe I won't care.

I've made love to several nice (and hot) women, and they sure haven't complained about how I look. If anything they mention my tanned muscles. I used to be embarrassed about having sex with a new person, but not at all anymore.

I still think surgery is the way to go since it's far faster. I've read somewhere that as you get older, the theory is that the body makes so many fat cells, and that even if they're removed, the body will reattempt to grow new ones to replace those lost through liposuction. Surgery will for certain remove the  glandular tissue. I'm waiting to see if the 'diet aid of questionable value' will totally reduce the glandular portion.

I'm very shy, but maybe after eight more weeks of this I might load pictures. I hope for the best...for myself and all of you. Believe me, I've felt your pain and embarrassment. It's very difficult to diet and exercise everyday for all these weeks. Not everyone can do it, and even then most will fall off the wagon and return to their old eating habits.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I have a few years on you, I was born in 1937.

Even so, Your history, my History, and that of the next 14 year old to post is probably very much the same.

You'll note that one product name will not even print on this site. What does that tell you about how these products are regarded?

Because you are looking for a change and because you really want to see a change, in a few days you'll think you are actually seeing a change. Eventually you'll realize that you've been had and those herbal products actually did no good at all. Briefly, Very Briefly, You thought you saw what you wanted to see. That is how a scam works. Ultimately, you paid your money and you got no result.

There are but two alternatives, Live with it or have surgery. The choice is very personal, No one else can make it for you. There is no right or wrong answer, but there is one answer that fits you at this point in your life.
Grandpa Dan

Offline mannyman742

• Silver Member
Its marvelous that you've started to eat healthy, weight train, cardio, etc.  You seem to have a great outlook on your gyno that not many guys can grasp, (including myself for many years.)  The biggest thing is to keep up with the exercises, I know that gynecomastia is discouraging and I previously stopped exercising throughout the years because, I would tell myself, whats the point, if my nipples haven't changed?  Even so, I think exercising will diminish the appearance of gyno, that is if you don't do huge amounts of pectoral exercises which actually poke glandular tissue out. 
But, I will have to agree with PaaPaw here, those junk supplements specifically geared towards gynecomastia reduction are just scams.  True glandular gynecomastia is just that, tissue, and can only be surgically reduced.  Congrats on your weight loss, my friend!

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
Here's some pictures after cropping my face out. It's hard to get a sense of what's fat and glandular versus muscular after the exercise, diet, and supplements. I'm posting more pics tomorrow of Evolution 4, my current stage of exercise.

As I continue to exercise, it may be all in my head, but I think my testosterone has increased, or perhaps my estrogen levels have dropped as I've lost body fat. I really feel more aggressive and strong now.

Most of the fat tissue feels like it's outer side of my chest. My inner pectoral muscles feel hard and firm. Before the fat was all the way around the chest area. Now it is largely confined to the lower outer side. There's about an inch of pinchable fat from the midline that follows along to the underside of the armpit. The upper half of my chest feels firm now with some fat about 1/2 inch above the nipple line.

I'm in a great mood. I've met someone special who loves me for who I am and what I look like. I'm going to continue my evolutions to improve myself as much as possible and see if I end up using surgery. There are wonderful and sexy women out there who care more about our kindness, thoughtfulness, and love for them. I hope you guys find acceptance and also find encouragement to better yourselves as much as possible.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The term Gynecomastia first appeared in the writings of the Greek Physician Galen in the second century. His references were to contoured breasts probably caused mostly by fat deposits. He was apparently well aware of glandular growth but did not include it. Meaning that our present references to "real" vs "pseudo" Gynecomastia may actually be backwards compared to Galens use of the term.

Twenty years ago, Male breast reduction surgery was just coming of age. This may explain why your Doctors previously said nothing could be done about it.

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
Here's some pictures of Evolution 4, my current phase taken today.
Front view Evolution 4

Side view Evolution 4. The skin is shrinking back at the bottom about 1/4 inch from the weight loss. The fatty tissue has receded.

Note the detent of my finger. My inner pec is getting hard, and there is a loss of fat tissue.

See thedifference on the outer side of my pec. There is still fatty tissue here.

Finally note this pic. When I first started and took a pinch, the "breast" was twice in length. It's now halved from exercise and eating better.

It remains to be seen how much fatty tissue I can reduce. I know I am very pleased with my increase in discipline, and not nearly as embarrassed at the gym. My abs have really improved as a side benefit!

One more thing. I like the new kind of dumbells you can buy. Mine are Rebok, but there's quite a variety. You simply move a setting on the dumbell, and can quickly switch the amount. I do modified dumbell flys. I do regular ones across ther nipple line in 4 sets of ten, but then also bringing the dumbells to around my hip area and then in 4 sets of ten. I also raise the dumbells around my head area and bring them in in 4 sets of ten. It's one way to work the pec area (ensuring that I work the lower and upper pecs).

I know that some people feel that it pushes the fat forward. I haven't seen that happen yet. If it does, I'll lower the amount of weight and do 4 sets of 20 to get more toned instead of trying to increase in bulk.

Offline jack9

• Bronze Member
You look good.  Need to lose a few more but you've come a long way.  However, you should consult a surgeon about your chest.  It doesn't look like dieting is going to fix it.  I'm your age and lost all my weight when I was 17 but could never work the fat off the chest.  I had surgery 2 years ago and the only bad thing about it is that I wish I knew about this surgery years ago.  I can work in the yard shirtless and be shirtless anytime without being self-conscious.  The best reward I ever gave myself.

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
New pics from Evolution4 taken today. I've used the Nivea cellulite strips three times, and see a big change just in four days. Also applying their cream twice a day. Still doing the same exercises/diet as before.
Front: the fat is receding fromt he upper outer side, note the crease change in the upper portion.

Side: Note the crease in the upper outer side. The fat is receding downward. The muscle on my upper outer pec is harder now.

Here's an extra picture with my finger pointing to the portion of my chest. Immediately above my finger, the chest is firmer.

Final pic: pic at a 45 deg angle. You can see that the upper outer postion looks different now.

The Nivea cellulite patches really seem to be doing something. It remains to be seen if it will continue receding and if the effects are permanent.

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
Here's some new pics of Evolution 4 taken 06/18/2008. I've been regularly doing the exercise and diet and using the Nivea Cellulite cream. I have increased my cardio to burn an additional 500 calories per day to compensate for any fat being liberated from the cellulite patches and cream.
This is a front view. Note the change in the lower outer pecs. Some fat loss is evident compared to last week.

This is a side view. The gyno continues to diminish

Here is a side view with my finger as a marker showing the upper firm and lower fat section.

Compare this 45 degree view with last week's post. The outline of my gyno has really diminished.

I will continue to post as long as there is interest in my experiment. Based upon what other body builders have experienced, I believe I will be able to get down to the glandular tissue and then have to have surgery. I feel very empowered to do as much as possible on my own.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:23:34 PM by Pragmatic »

Strato

I hate to burst your boob, but at 5 foot 9, 196 pounds, your BMI is 28.9, certainly not 23.5 (which will be the case when you reach 160 pounds).
Otherwise, good luck!

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
My BMI would be 28.9 if I use a chart (which is very unscientific and an estimate). The way I measure my BMI is with a digital fat measuring device. If you do a search on the internet, you'll see that BMI charts are just used as general guides. There are only three accurate ways to measure fat content: an immersion test, a digital fat measurement device, or using ordinary calipers.

Offline fcjacobs

• Posting Member
good luck on the excercise and all you are doing. this will help the issue but not completely. it will also improve your life a lot to be active and healthy.

for me i'm 5'8 usually hovering around 165lbs. last year i went crazy with excercise and diet. I got down to 135 lbs which is what I was in high school. i'm now 29. my breasts were much smaller but still too big overall and i never got happy with the area especially around the nipples.

i'm not up to 180lbs and fed up since the diet and xtream excercise did not accomplish my goal. in 2 weeks Dr. Delgado in san francisco will do surgery. i wish you the best..

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
Thanks for your kind words fcjacobs. I appreciate your encouragement.

I did a search of the board to find similar threads like the one I started. In some cases people posted pics, in others they didn't. It's very hard to post these kinds of pictures, at least for me personally, but I want to encourage people despite my own reticence or embarrassment. I took a mini-vacation since it's summer time. I plan on loading some new pics in a week or so.

I see that there are various herbal attempts to cure gynecomastia. A quick search revealed the ones already mentioned but also: rebound xt, and flax seed oil. I'm planning on incorporating these also into phase five in four weeks or so. Flax seed oil is supposed to be superior to Fish Oil as a source of Omega 3 fatty acids, but also contains Omega 6 and 9 acids. I'm mostly curious in replacing one for the other to see if I continue to see gains.

Creatine is a supplement that some bodybuilders use to pump more iron, and hence gain more strength, but tends to help you put on fat too. I've toyed with using it, but feel it may be counter productive since much of the tissue loss has been fat.

Everyone has a different amount of gynecomastia that they feel they can deal with. Of course we would all like to be 100% rid of it, but I've noticed that some folks have what I think is a very nice looking chest with only minor gyne (compared to my own case). The grass is always greener on the other side. If I had their sometimes sculpted bodies, sometimes only with very minor puffy nips, I doubt I would have surgery. Part of that is age-related. I've found myself more comfortable with my body as I've gotten older and more empowered.

For phase five, I'm seriously thinking of incorporating a very old exercise regimen in with my weightlifting i.e. Charles Atlas' Dynamic Tension. In many ways, it reminds me of yoga and calisthenics, and I'd like to see if it will continue the reduction in outer pecs. I'm curious to hear from bodybuilders or other folks who have successfully reduced their gyne.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 04:12:12 AM by Pragmatic »

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
I enjoyed reading your story. I turned 40 this year, and like you, I go serious about diet and exercise.  Lost 50, and have added a lot of muscle.

After 6mos and losing 50, I realized that surgery was the only answer.  Did a lot of research and came to that harsh reality.  Surgery was the 15th of April and I am feeling really good.  I recommend it highly.

Lastly, even if I never had the surgery that exercise is hardly a waste of time.  My blood pressure is normal, and other risk factors for coronary disease are way down.   My story is on the diary section if you are interested.  Whatever the cost of your gym membership and supplements, money well spent.

Best of luck.

Offline Pragmatic

• Posting Member
Thanks Noseguard,

I read your odyssey under the user diary section. I'm glad that your surgery with Dr. Jacobs went well, and that you're healing fine, and that you've decided to keep exercising. Good for you for taking this huge positive step to better yourself.  Perhaps it will inspire a young person who suffered, or better yet help a parent to process the need to assist their teenage children in getting surgery.

In my own case, I am in medical school, and under an enormous amount of debt. I really don't have the funds to have surgery, and won't for years. I sold everything to go back to school late in life, and just barely squeak by with my school loans. You'd be surprised how many students have one medical condition or another and enter school to ultimately learn more about their condition.

I am especially motivated to reduce my gynecomastia as much as possible for multiple reasons. 1) I want to see how much a disciplined person can lose. Like many patients who suffer with this, I gave up trying to exercise since, "What's the point, I'll still have gyne after working out?" 2) I want to see if there are any non-surgical alternatives that don't involve tamoxofen or steroid therapy. 3) I want to discover if people who are not wealthy or have access to loans must simply save their money and wait it out. 4) I hope to motivate people to create an action plan for themselves.

I've been absolutely astonished at the lack of professionalism among physicians concerned gynecomastia even in med school. I am absolutely astonished at the cruelty of parents and family and friends who continue to tease their kids who have this condition. I am absolutely astonished that parents and spouses don't help out their loved ones with surgery without prompting. I know I am largely preaching to the choir here, but I do hope that a few uninformed physicians and family members will read this forum and "WAKE UP!".

It is all too easy to take a passive role and expect that a drug or surgery will magically fix our problems. The reality is that it's a partnership between the patients, medical staff, family members to synergisticly develop a strategy for treatment. I know all too well that there are con men willing to prey upon us with a exercise book or magic herb that will cure everything. That's why I have been intentionally studying it, reading clinical articles, and trying what's out there to see if there's any possible truth behind the claims.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024