Author Topic: Questions  (Read 2065 times)

Offline manwithnoname

• Bronze Member
Hey guys, first post. Reading this stuff has been a great help already.

After seeing people's posts, I have seen 2 Dr.'s in BC so far, Dr. Brown in Richmond, and someone else in Richmond who's name I have written somewhere. Dr. Brown charged a hundred bucks for the appointment, the other did not, for those who need the info. Dr. Brown was going to be about 3800, I assume do to in house facilities and what not, and the other was about 1070, so about Fielding price, but without the flight. Now, the difference aside from price was that Brown told me he goes in through the side, and doesn't actually remove any gland, for me in this case anyway. Now I see the other guy, and he says, that if I were to do that and just do the lipo, I could be left with a hard lump underneath my nipple, and that he would rather remove some gland as well. I would say there is little more unsettling than two Dr's giving conflicting opinions on what will be a major decision with large consequences should something go wrong. They both use different types of lipo as well, as I made sure to ask, but now I forget which is which. I beleive one involved pumping saline inside, or something along those lines. Ahh details. Well I hope my vagueness isn't discouraging anyone from replying with their constructive thoughts, as I could use them. I have an appointment with Dr. Lewis in North Van next week as well. I guess this is the research part. Mainly, its the already conflicting opinions that are bothering me.

That was a rambly first post, here's to more coherant follow ups.

Offline aloe

• Bronze Member
I've not have surgery, nor even a consultation, so I'm no expert, but have had other kinds of surgery, including for malignant melanoma, and I know that different surgeons have different "styles" or methods.  Also, from reading the boards here, there are differing methods.  Sometimes it has to do with the doctor's training.  Sometimes with their preferences and prejudices.  Surgery is not only science, it is also "art."  There's not always one perfect answer.  

Offline brebguy

• Silver Member
  • Montrealer
hi there manwithnoname,

here is some of the things i learned browsing through the net and reading the posts on the site (thanks to all of you posters) you say that Dr Brown goes in through the side and doesn't actually remove any gland. this tells me he uses some kind of ultrasound-assisted liposuction.

in that case, the surgeon will make a small incision, less than a half-inch in length, on the inferior part of the breast. the cannula, which is attached to a vacuum pump, is then inserted into the incision. The ultrasound-assisted liposuction consists in liquefying or emulsifying fat deposits by using this cannula that transmits ultrasound waves from its tip. Upon contact with these waves, tissues are turned into oil. The liquefied tissue will then be suctioned off under low pressure.

i beleive Dr Lista uses that technique (or some kind of similar technique anyway.

as for the case of Dr Fielding, he will do an excision he will cut trough the nipple and remove the gland from here. some people say its the best technique because the surgeon can actually see what he is doing where as in the case of ultrasound-assisted lipo, the surgeon has to "feel" the gland. which i am a bit skeptical about but hey, that's just me. at least in your case. as for leaving a lump under the nipple if he doesn't remove the gland. i never heard anything about it but it totally makes sense to me (correct me if i'm wrong) because if you leave something under the nipple, it will most definitely show if the rest of the breast is flat. i am thinking of getting surgery myself and am most definitely thinking to travel to Toronto to get it done by Fielding (cheap, very good reputation, at least here, uses a technique that i think works best, even if it is said to leave more scaring tissues)

so that is it... let me know guys if i'm getting anything wrong. would be glad to hear the truth if what i understood is not right.

thanks
surgery did not work...:-(
Dr. Fielding (TO - Ontario : 416.766.8890) on august 9th, 2006 and revision on september 21st, 2007

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024