Author Topic: Why did 1 PS agree to only 1.5 cm incision while other insist on minimum 5cm?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Neil123

• Bronze Member
A mild case of gyne. I strongly prefer 1.5cm(!) but I'm not the expert. THANKS

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is ludicrous to compare length of incision as determining the value of a surgeon.

Every case is different.  Incisions are made as long as necessary.  Some guys have very tiny areolas -- and working through a small incision is very tough at times.  Some patients can have their gyne successfully removed just with lipo cannulas -- others will need an incision to complete the job.

Any surgeon worth his salt will tell you that he makes an incision long enough so that he can do his job well.  what counts is the result -- a smooth and contoured chest.  The wound heals side to side, not end to end!  And if the wound heals well, then it will be hardly visible -- so who gives a hoot if it is 1.5 cm or 5cm -- it is still virtually invisible!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Neil123

• Bronze Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs!
I just want you to know it was the SAME nipple(!) - one insists 5cm minimum. the other PS agreed to 1.5. (SAME patient saw 2 different PS)
Who do you tend to agree with - the PS who agreed to the patient's request (only 1.5cm pls) or the one saying 5cm minimum (perhaps felt he would not be able to do a good job otherwise?)

Without seeing the patient of course, do you generally believe the one who agreed to 1.5cm has better skills or just agreed to pateint's request to win the 'business'? if the last, what is the main risk when PS agrees to a "too small" incision - the way chest will look after or worse - higher surgery complication risk?
Thank you.
Sincerely,
Neil

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
When you go to a professional, you are seeking advice from someone who has more information and skill than you do.  That is why you are seeking help. If you put your trust and faith in that individual, then you should accept his advice.

I think it is the height of absurdity to go to a surgeon and insist on his operating through an incision whose length is your choice.  You are not doing the surgery!  If a longer incision is needed to do the job properly, then the surgeon should feel absolutely free to make any length of incision he deems appropriate.

If you were to consult with me with those demands, I would not accept you as a patient.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Neil123

• Bronze Member
Thank you Dr. Jacobs.

While you did not answer the following question, I do appreciate any feedback from you very much!

"what is the main risk when PS agrees to a "too small" incision - the way chest will look after or worse - higher surgery complication risk?"

Sincerely,
N.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024