Author Topic: lying about alchohol during consultation...  (Read 6375 times)

Offline soonplz

• Posting Member
i've drank once before, a few weeks ago. i may or may not again weekend after next and i'm going to college soon so i might or might not. i haven't decided.

i'm underage for drinking and i had a parent in the consultation so i of course said no to alchohol use. is this something that's going to matter a whole lot? is alchohol use a big consideration in deciding whether or not to provide surgery and does it affect it much at all? in terms of the outcome of the surgery and safety?

thanks!

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
How much do you drink and how often?

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline middetroit

• Posting Member
does alcohol have any effects on your post op experience? or are u just saying dont drink beer cuz it will fatten you up a bit?

Offline soonplz

• Posting Member
GB: uh, what i may do is start drinking 3-5 times a month (like on weekends) and do like 4 - 8 drinks, enough to buzz but not become a mess... just enough for fun. i've only drank once at this point (6 drinks in 1.5 hours and then sobered up asap) though and i wan to make sure that there aren't going to be issues with the gynecomastia that so i can make a smart decision.

it will be at least a couple of weeks before i do again if i choose to, but my surgery wouldn't be for 2 - 4 months anyway...

if anyone has some non-gynecomastia specific wisdom to share about drinking, i'd love for you to share too

thanks guys

Offline Badgene

• Silver Member
GB:
wisdom to share about drinking, i'd love for you to share too

Gin and Tonic, if you make it right it tastes like sprite. Put it in a poland springs bottle and head to the park for a hang out or picnic. It always works.

Gin and tonic is like science. you got to weigh the chems and proportion it just right and it flows like water.

I dunno if I'm off topic, but its a good drink.

Offline soonplz

• Posting Member
lol i sort of meant like implications or bad/good experience or advice about drinking or not drinking, but thanks for the drinking tip lol

GB, i'd still love to hear your input :)

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
kind of confused about what ur asking...

if ur asking if alcohol will affect ur surgery...not the amount u drink. all the doc said to me was to avoid alcohol for 48 hours after surgery.  to be honest with u...my surgery was tuesday and i drank some alcohol the saturday before. and it was enough to get me tipsy.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
There are several concerns about alcohol.

So far as the anesthesia is concerned, a drinker will react to some anesthetics different than a non drinker.

The consumption of alcohol can temporarily alter liver and kidney function and thereby have an effect upon how well you come out of the anesthetic.

Grandpa Dan

Offline soonplz

• Posting Member
well i would be fine with not drinking at all if it would help and i might go that route anyway just to be safe but i just wasn't sure what the consequences might be of telling a surgeon you dont drink and drinking at a party most weekends or whatever for the months before surgery and then showing up for the operation (not drinking for a while before atleast)

Offline Badgene

• Silver Member
hmm I think you would be ok. But if you care about your organs you may want to avoid some booze in the week before and a little while after. Like he said, all that stuff travels through liver and stuff, and you really want as little stress on your system as possible.

The doctor and the hospital will ask you all kinds of questions like that, they dont want to make an error and end up getting sued so they want to know everything they can. Like you dont want to take any multivitamins or anything cuz sometimes they contain things that can complicate matters like increase blood flow and such. Thats what they told me at least. Like aspirin is bad.

You have to be careful what you say. If you smoke, the hospital will ask you and if you tell them yes they will ask you how often and how many packs a day. That could possibly be on your ins record and it may come back to bite you when your filing for life ins one day possibly.

So dont let them think your an alcoholic especially if you aren't because they are SOBs about that stuff. Dont admit to anything you dont want to come back at you. just play it safe and do what makes sense.

You sound like you like to go out with friends and booze it up a bit on weekends, its not worth getting the medical/gov/administration involved for that.

Just take it easy on the booze in the up coming week of surgery and take some time after. Dont mix drugs like booze and pain killers. oh and make sure no one tries to steal your painkillers (dont underestimate the opiate fanatics).

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
the the only time i was askd about alcohol was in the forms i had to fill out. it said "check off if u drink alcohol...1)alot
2)moderately
3)rarely

i checked off moderately and i drink just as much as u (most likely even more).

do ur parents know that u "occasionally" drink.  like do they offer u wine on certain ocasions??
or are they very strict and firm against u even having a sip of alcohol??

as long as the doctor sees that u are healthy then u are fine. ur young and im sure healthy so i doubt alcohol has affected u.  if i were u i wouldnt drink for a week before surgery and 2 weeks after just to be safe

Offline patriot389

• Posting Member
My doctor asked me in the pre-op today if i drink, i said yes, he asked how often.  I was honest and told him about one night a week.  He then asked me if I thought i abused alcohol, and I said no.  then he actually told me he was gonna put down I drink very rarely, because like the other guy said, that can come back to bite you, and my doctor told me that.  My doctor is pretty cool I guess.  Im not drinkin for 2 weeks prior, and im gonna not drink for about a month after, and when I do start, Im going to take it slow, only a few drinks on the nights I drink.  Best of luck.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 12:20:02 AM by patriot389 »

Offline Grandpa Bambu

lol i sort of meant like implications or bad/good experience or advice about drinking or not drinking, but thanks for the drinking tip lol

GB, i'd still love to hear your input :)

As with everything else in life, moderation is the key word. If you are a chronic abuser of alcohol, you are going to do some damage to your body in some form, eventually. Try not to drink too much and you'll be okay. If you feel you are drinking in excess, seek help. AA is a good place to start. ;)

Regarding alcohol/surgery, alcohol is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) and could cause excessive bleeding. A surgeon needs to know if you drink alcohol and to what extent in order to know how your are going to react to your surgical procedure. You need to be completely honest with your surgeon dude!!! Similarly to what patriot389 said, best thing to do is to abstain for at least 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post-op.

GB 

Offline Grandpa Bambu

GB: uh, what i may do is start drinking 3-5 times a month (like on weekends) and do like 4 - 8 drinks, enough to buzz but not become a mess... just enough for fun.

It's odd that people drink to 'have fun' but in reality, alcohol is a depressant!  ???  ;)

GB

Offline helloHELLO

• Silver Member
GB: uh, what i may do is start drinking 3-5 times a month (like on weekends) and do like 4 - 8 drinks, enough to buzz but not become a mess... just enough for fun.

It's odd that people drink to 'have fun' but in reality, alcohol is a depressant!  ???  ;)

GB
u feel depressed the next morning when u wake up with a hangover and realize all the money u spent at the bar for no reason or the silly stuff u did while u were sauced haha

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024