Author Topic: I had my consultation with Dr. Haugrud (Calgary). Comments/Advice?  (Read 9541 times)

Offline radio

• Bronze Member
I had my consultation with Dr. Haugrud in mid-November. They said the surgery will be scheduled within 6-9 months. In addition, the procedure will be charged to Alberta Health Care - which is nice.

However, I do have a few concerns. After sizing me up, Dr. Haugrud said he only plans on doing excision. He stated he doesn't generally do liposuction, and that I don't need liposuction; he said I mostly have gland (that gristly fat in my chest). I'm concerned because from I've been reading on this board most folks say it's best to have a combination of excision and lipo. Any thoughts on this?

He also mentioned that I'd need a drain put in. Anyone have experiences with this?

If any people have had experiences with Dr. Haugrud, please share your stories. Thanks.

Offline confused_satisfaction

• Bronze Member
hey, not everyone needs excision and lipo. my dr said that he would probably do lipo when i first talked to him. he didnt do it when it came down to it though.. there are my results if you want to take a look.. http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=16655.0

as for the drains, i just finally got them out today! its been a week.. however, people tend to get them out earlier it seems.. the drains are, simply put, a pain in the ass.. they are just always in the way.. nothing you cant deal with tho (they are out before you know it)

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
i had my surgery with dr haugrud as well. you can read my experience under my name, or in surgery experiences.

he is a great surgeon, and really knows his stuff. if you request to get more fat taken out, he may. i think i had both lipo and excision. drains are kind of a pain, but you get used to them quickly. getting them taken out just felt like something was burning inside me. your body scabs around the hole, and he has to pull them out. they go from just under your armpit to below your nipple, so about 5 inches tube going inside you.

he is a very experience doc, really nice and understanding, and will do what he can to make sure you have exactly what you want. sometimes what you want is not something that will look good in the long run. trust him, hes seen enough patients to know what hes doing.

good luck!

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
This advice is good for everyone about to have this surgery.....
I had minor Gynecomastia surgery with Dr Haugrud 2 years ago, I needed no drains, the initial surgery went well but after a few months I noticed that it basicly looked the same as if I never had the surgery to begin with, after living with it again for  about a year and a half I called his office to have him take another look and shed some light on this, I could not get a phone call back, I decided to look at another option...Dr Perron (calgary as well) I had a consultation booked and saw the Dr, he looked me over and told me what I am experiencing is very common when a compression carment is not used, what happens is when you have the tissue removed under the nipple a space is left, this is why some people with a lot removed have drains put in so the fluid that can build up in the area just leaks out, when this space is not compressed for the entire healing up to 1 month the space will heal and scare tissue with fill in...Makes sense right! This is my problem, Dr Haugrud does not supply or even recomend the use of this garment, I remember because I asked him and he said there is no need. So now I am back doing this all over again at my own expense although Dr Perron is giving me a nice price based on the fact this is my second go around.
Now I am not saying dr Haugrud is a bad doctor...all I'm saying is there are some issues with his ideas and after treatment care...PLEASE PLEASE buy and wear a compression vest after the surgery otherwise you will be in my situation...if anyone would like to talk further let me know and we can exchange e-mail.
GOOD LUCK to all

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
im just over a month now after surgery, and youre right, he didnt reccommend any compression vest. i did wear a tensor bandage for a while, and still do some nights. but the swelling is still there, and i can feel as tho its healing with the scar tissue inside, and its making it protrude as tho nothing was taken out. there is a slight improvement, but not like i expected at all.

i wonder if its too late to start wearing the tensor all the time?

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
Sorry to hear that....
basically once the scar tissue is formed thats it, compression will not get rid of it now, it has to be cut out. When I had my consult at Dr Peron they were adimate that I ONLY take my compression vest off for a short shower, otherwise it is on 24-7 for a month to avoid this. I recommend you go back to haugrud and show him the results, as I said in my last post...I could not get a phone call back when I tried...made me angry that I went through all this just to be left the same..BUT after going to Dr Perron for my consult I booked in and have my surgery next week.
Another thing about Dr Perron is he provides you with the compression vest for free, they also have you on anti-inflamitories after surgery to keep the swelling down. The big point that his office was trying to get across to me is that the POST opp care is where you make or break the results, unfortunately we rely on doctors to inform us on everything..How do we know right?
Best of luck.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Once the scar tissue is formed thats it, compression will not get rid of it now, it has to be cut out.

Wrong! Scar tissue does not have to be 'cut out'. The body will absorb it over time. ;)

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
Do your home work Grandpa!
I have had mine for two years and it has not changed...AT ALL, yes if you have a small amount around the incision (which everyone gets) you are supose to rub the area and you can get rid of it like that, IF you have lots..which is what I am talking about, it HAS to be cut out.

Offline dondante

• Gold Member
caldude,

Just read this post, and I gotta say I feel for you, man. I know my ps was adamant about the first few weeks post-op being critical to recovery. He was insistent that I not work or do anything for a week post op, and he's got me wearing the compression vest for 6 weeks. I sure hope your revision goes well!

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
dondante

Thanks a lot for that...The Doc that is doing it actually specializes in fixing these mistakes and other problems, I was told it was very common since there are no regulations on who can perform this kind of surgery, I am looking forward to getting it out of my life once and for all...

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
that really sucks caldude! i do hope mine still goes down. i kept everything pretty tight for the most part, with tensors, but im assuming the swelling will go down in time. its been 6 weeks now, and there is still swelling, and my nipples are quite puffy, although one is puffier than the other.
i have gained alot of fat in the last two months, and lost muscle so alot of my tone is gone.  im back training again, and im hoping as my skin tightens up ill notice my chest tighten up as well.

have you thought of doing hydrocortisone injections to get rid of the scar tissue inside?
think its still too early to think if this operation was a success or not?

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
siphon
Well i wish you the best of luck with the training, and I'm sure the swelling will go down in time, If you find that after 3 months your nips are still puffy and the swelling is gone then you should talk to your doc again because at that time its basicly the finished product.
My surgery to cut out the scar tissue is on Thursday the 12th...this coming week. I will post pictures (before and after) and you can see what I have been talking about.
As for the shots...I never thought of that..could have been an option?? maybe something for you to look in to if you are unhappy with the final out come of yours.
Will Keep you posted 8)

Offline siphon

• Silver Member
sounds good caldude, good luck with your surgery this week!

its hard not to be impatient here, but i just realize how long ive waited already, and really hope it gets better in time.

have you tried contacting haugrud again? 

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
Siphon:
Yes I tried to call his office about 5 months back, called 3 times with no call back, not sure what the reason there is...This is why I searched out Dr Perron. Im getting excited now that it is so close to happening, I'm sure this time around every thing will be fine (now that I know how to take care of myself)

Offline caldude

• Posting Member
Well, I am 24 hours post op on my surgery to remove the scar tissue, there was quite a bit inside and it was hard as a rock, scissors couldn't even cut through it, he also removed a bit more tissue that the other doctor missed the first time around.
I of course am now wearing the compression garment to keep the nipples prest against the chest walls so no fluid or scar tissue will  form, I am also on antibiotics to help ease the swelling faster (there is very little to begin with) Also on Percacets for the pain...(they are saaawweeeet...lol )
I can see and feel a huge difference already.
Dr Perron is the man!  8)

Remember that the Compression Garment is the key to this surgery!!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024