Author Topic: 13 days post op  (Read 1993 times)

Offline st23

• Posting Member
The contour looks good but chest still appears gyno-like.How do I know if the surgeon didn't take enough out or if this is just swelling? The outer part of the pec's feel a little numb and there is bruising at the bottom portion of the pec's so am I to assume that it is just indeed swelling? My chest is not overly sore and it feels sort of soft when I press on it.I know I'm not looking at the finished product right now,but typically is it normal to have swelling at this stage? My underarm area is still real puffy. How much swelling at this stage is normal? Any help would be appreciated. Thank heaven for this forum! 

Offline xelnaga13

IMO- It's too early to tell. At 13 days your going to still have significant swelling. How did the chest look immediately after surgery?

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
Yes it is. Welcome to the club. Same time frame as you.

"Swelling, in general, tends to take many weeks to totally resolve"  Dr. Jabobs

ww w.gynecomastia.org/smf/31/swelling-after-surgery/

Space inserted after w to avoid posting issues.

Offline st23

• Posting Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I seen the results 2 days after surgery and it looked somewhat flat,but maybe not as flat as I would have liked-although that could have been swelling I guess. As of now,it definitely looks way more swollen than it did then. I was just wondering if that was normal because from everything I've been reading the swelling peaks after surgery and gradually diminishes. I understand that the swelling will be prevelant for a while but I was just concerned with the amount of swelling which is real similar to my pre surgery size.

Offline greatlakes

• Silver Member
My right side was pretty flat the morning afterwards, almost nuked completely. Since then swelling has made it look almost as bad as preop. So yes to your question.

Offline st23

• Posting Member
It's sort of funny. Before I had the surgery,I would have thought that I would be real calm in the weeks following surgery after reading all of the posts that stress patience in waiting for the results and to not jump to conclusions about the outcome,etc. Of course, the opposite has been true.I'm usually pretty rational. I have found myself getting paranoid that there is something wrong when I read other guys being farther along at this point than me or feeling bad about guys that have had problems. This thing plays mind games with you. It truly feels like a journey thus far. I'm really glad this forum allows you to get everything off of your,Oh wait never mind! There I go again.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
You are correct -- your surgery is a journey.

Swelling actually starts during the operation.  The extent of the swelling depends on a multitude of factors -- the extent of the surgery, the amount of post-operative compression (with garments), your individual healing characteristics, and finally, how well you follow your surgeon's post-op recommendations. And contrary to what you might think, swelling actually peaks a day or two after surgery -- not at the end of your operation!

So be patient.  You may find that each side of your chest heals at a different rate as well -- and there may be more swelling on one side than the other.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline snugglebandit

• Posting Member
Well Im seven months out and still seeing significant improvements, so ya, take your time man. The swelling lasts a long time and then all the tissues resettle and stuff. So just be patient.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024