Author Topic: Anyone who had surgery, get in here.  (Read 3855 times)

Offline craftspace234

• Posting Member
Just would like to know details about it. How much was the surgery, was it only lipo, was it uncomfortable, any scars, did it ever come back, how much has your life changed, was it worth it etc. 

And one thing I would really like to know, must you pay the money at all once or can you do like a monthly payment kind of thing for it?

I am a student with little money, but would like to get surgery if I am able to do a monthly payment for it

Thanks!

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
Depends who you go to and where. Usually costs $3-8k. Usually excision and lipo are required. Most surgeons do it under general anesthesia so you won't feel the surgery at all, but some do it under local, which again you don't really feel. Recovery is probably the most uncomfortable part, wearing a vest for 6 weeks with bruising etc. If the doctor uses drains they can sometimes be painful to remove but nothing worth worrying about. There are plenty of posts on this site that give detailed experiences, I haven't got around to writing mine yet. Number 1 priority is to find an excellent surgeon. Hope that helps.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
People who have had surgery seldom have any reason to keep in touch. They may be around during the healing process, but once they are fully healed they vanish and are not heard from again.

As a result, you will find lots of commentary from those who are not happy with the result or who are not yet fully healed and still a bit worried but rarely any communication from a really happy person post operative. They are simply no longer here.
Grandpa Dan

Offline thetodd

There are a fair active UK members, but yeah i agree most chip off after the first year.

So i will give you some insight,

My surgery was lipo+excision of gland, surgery was painless recovery isnt bad if your talking about pain. Mentally its a rollercoaster, when you have surgery (depending who done it/how it was done etc) the first time you take off the compression vest is the best you ever see your chest. It feels like that chapter in your life is over, and you feel pretty care free for the next few days. Then as time rolls on you start to get swelling and scar tissue and that initlal euphoria has faded its just a shit few months. And i dont mean that lightly, if you have a browse through threads where people have surgery the timeline tends to be a pretty shit first year. I think its important to make this clear, as people kind of expect to look like a male model post op like some surgeons may want it to appear but it can be a bitch depending on how your body reacts and how you mentally adjust to the process. Eventually you heal, you may be left with some scar tissue but once you mentally get over it the hard parts over.

Did it change my life? yeah sure it did but then you realise that there is a million other things that can keep you up at night that cant be fixed by surgery. In terms of self confidence. posture and anxiety it helped greatly and im so glad i had it done. I remember worrying that summer was comming, what was i going to wear? how can i get out of going on holiday etc. My thought process is totally different these day's and now i cant wait for winter to end!

Depending where you live, there may be payment plans loans etc, but it will probably cost you more long term. My advice is if you can afford a good quality surgeon, and you want to do it go for it. My surgery was £4200 4 1/2 years ago i dont think much has changed in terms of UK pricing.
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline craftspace234

• Posting Member
Thanks for the responses

Yeah I didn't think of it like that. Most people who had surgery probably aren't here anymore.

I just don't 5000 dollars to put up right then and there. I would need some type of payment plan. Something like a monthly plan.

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
Where are you located craftspace?

Offline craftspace234

• Posting Member

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
Because some countries/states/provinces will cover some part of the fees under insurance. I know Ontario residents can get rebates under OHIP, and Australians with hospital cover can get partial rebates as well. Haven't heard of this in USA though unfortunately.

hammer

As for the USA, active duty military members have posted having it covered by tricare! However, I'm a vet and the VA does not cover it. We have had someone one on Medicare post that his Medicare covered it.

Offline jay adams

• Gold Member
Surgery was definitely one of the most important things I've ever done. Slowly I became more and more depressed. Finally at the age of 38 I had the surgery (had gyne since 13 years of age).

I can see clearly now the rain is gone! Thank God my doc did a great job. I never wear a shirt unless I'm at church or my kids school functions. I just got home from the gym and I look as normal as anyone else in there.

If you want the surgery then make it happen. I sold everything I had to have the surgery (even my silverado). I don't miss my truck. It actually has a special place in my heart for getting me the surgery.haha.

Good luck and get ready to have fun. With a good outlook and a healthy body life is grand.

Offline srnd2012

• Silver Member
I'm over 2 months post op. I had excision and lipo and it was covered by medicare. I live in Canada.

Right now I'm dealing with some swelling and scar tissue on my left side but I would take my current appearance over my previous look any day of the week.  It really is a life changer.  And I know it can only get better as time goes by and swelling decreases.

My only regret is that I never had this done sooner.  I'm 30 years old (had gyne since around 14) and like most everyone in here it was the first and last thing I thought about each day.....but not anymore :)

If you choose to have the surgery make sure you do your homework and find an experienced surgeon.

Cheers!

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
I had my surgery with Dr. Pensler in Chicago 8 days ago.  I live in Madison...there really aren't too many options in the midwest as far as surgeons with lots of gynecomastia experience goes, but he seemed like the real deal and does something like 150-200 gyno surgeries a year and that extensive experience with gyno is what drew me to him.  He and his staff have been very pleasant to deal with.

I had, I would say, a mild-to-moderate case of gyno.  He did both excision of glandular tissue of course, and lipo.  The nurse said there was more fat than expected because of how relatively little fat I have elsewhere.  I saw what they removed afterwards and there was more of both than I'd expected....not a surprise when I look down at my chest and see how different it looks now, I suppose.  What they used to put me under was twilight sedation, which I understand is the mildest form of anaesthesia.  They said I was going to be loopy all day but I think I was pretty normal a half hour or so after coming out of it.

It was $5125 (I think), which includes everything such as consultation, follow-up appointments and compression vests.  I paid up front in cash and the only alternative they offered was financing through, I think, Capital One.  I maybe would have done it earlier with financing, but I already have enough credit card debt.  If you can afford to finance it then I would recommend it....you're not financing an HDTV or something, it's goddamn gynecomastia and you know you want it gone as soon as possible.

There's significant bruising but virtually only around the edges of where the bandages (roughly 5x5inches) were, I can only assume because the compression vest angles off the edges of the bandages and so there's a tiny space around the bandages where there was no pressure on the skin prior to removing them.  That's the only theory I can come up with.  The bruising is still there for the most part, subsided a bit, but I suppose it's not as bad as I anticipated.

I sent 1 week post-op pictures to the doctor yesterday and he said there's a moderate/typical amount of swelling but it's kind of hard for me to tell where it is, especially since I'm obviously not used to my chest being shaped this way.  Maybe there's a little but I kind of wonder if what he saw as swelling is mostly just my pec muscles (I lift weights); most of the shape of my chest right now is clearly muscle.  I honestly don't notice much swelling.

I'm supposed to wear these vests for four weeks post-op, 24/7 aside from when I shower.  It really f'ing sucks, they're extremely tight especially in the arm pits, and quite frankly I'm still not entirely sure I understand what effect it's supposed to have long term, but I think I can manage for four weeks if it'll mean a better looking chest the rest of my life.  If by week 3 I don't notice any swelling I may just wear it part of the day or just buy a couple really tight Under Armour shirts or something.  I'm really hoping he doesn't recommend more than 4 weeks once I send him my 4-week photos.  From what I've seen online, Dr. Pensler seems to be more insistent on wearing vests for several weeks than many other surgeons do, but I can only assume that's because he's going by his own experience with his patients.

Too early to tell about the scarring of the incisions, frankly it's what I'm most worried about and I hate even looking at them because they're (obviously) so F'ed up looking, but I know that's how it's supposed to be at this point.  I just hope they heal well.

Pain isn't really much of an issue, even immediately following the surgery.  It's more just general discomfort, at this point mostly caused by the damn vests.

What made me hate my gyno the most on a daily basis was how it looked under shirts, so for years I was constantly self conscious about it and fretted over what shirts I can wear, especially on hot days.  Right now, the vests are so tight they make me look skinnier than I am and it kind of affects how I hold my arms, and the vests are more conspicuous than I thought they would be, so I'm not going nuts with shirts yet, but once the vest comes off for good I'm going to be excited to dig into my new wardrobe of shirts I've never been able to wear....t-shirts, thermals, etc.  That's what I'm really looking forward to.  When I'm done with the vests is when I will officially have that "new lease on life" feeling. :)

It's way too early to tell how it will turn out in the end, obviously, but just going by the fact that Dr. Pensler does a ton of these per year, the professionalism of him and his staff and how readily available he makes himself to contacting him afterwards, I would say I recommend at least looking into a consultation with him once you can afford it, seeing as you are in Chicago.

Offline cduub

• Silver Member
Im thinking about traveling for mine also. Did he do your consultation online or how did that work out? Secondly where is Dr. Pensler located?

Offline Fat-Elvis

• Bronze Member
Im thinking about traveling for mine also. Did he do your consultation online or how did that work out? Secondly where is Dr. Pensler located?
Dr. Pensler is in Chicago.  Madison is not too far away and my parents live near Chicago so I don't know if that really counts as "traveling" to see him.  I seriously doubt he or any surgeon would do a consultation that isn't in person.

Offline ms123

• Posting Member
Both Dr. Cruise and Delgado will do phone / Skype consultations for free if you want to travel to CA.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024