Author Topic: Mechanical gyno  (Read 1213 times)

Offline OhNoWhut

Please help. I'd like the opinion of the doctors or any other forum members who may have run into this problem, although it seems like a long shot.

A few months back I purchased a vacuum bell to help correct a slight pectus exvactum. The edges of the vacuum bell fell just inside my nipples, and applying the section would slightly push my pecs apart. After a few months of use with no problems I started noticing an itching under my nipples, and then a hard mass developed that was about the size and shape of a bottle cap behind each nipple. You cannot notice it visually, but I can feel it with my fingers. Of course I have discontinued the use of the vacuum bell, but it's been a little over a week and my nipples are still somewhat sensitive and the mass is still there, although its slightly smaller that it was initially. In a panicked search I found something rare called "mechanical gyno" which seems to fit my condition. In in my mid 30s and have no other conflictin conditions that would cause hormonal gyno.

Do the doctors have any experience or knowledge of this condition? Have I totally screwed myself for life? Will this go away? Thank you!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have never heard of vacuum being used to treat pectus excavatum -- it is an actual bony depression of the sternum and no amount of vacuum would work on this.  And if you have just a mild pectus, I would recommend leaving it alone.  If you did want to do something about it, then the best and safest method of treatment would be serial fat grafting to build up the soft tissue under the skin.

As for whether you caused some problem with your nipples, that depends upon how much suction was used and whether the nipples were subject to that suction.

There is actually a vacuum suction device designed for women who wish to non-surgically enlarge their breasts (do a Google search for Brava breast augmentation)  It is two large suction cups placed over the breasts for 10-12 hrs a night.  It is uncomfortable.  But at the end of the month, women can end up with about one cup larger breasts.  IF they discontinue use, the breasts will shrink back down by about 1/2 -- but they will still be slightly ahead of the game.  This is expensive and uncomfortable -- but it definitely works to a degree.

Don't know whether your problem is similar -- but linking the two things together (presumably a flat chest initially and then some growth associated with use of the device), it would seem probable. 

Can't predict how much your problem will diminish after you have discontinued use of the device.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024