Author Topic: Consultation with Dr. Karidis 01/08/08. Operation 14/08/08  (Read 8517 times)

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Consultation with Dr. Karidis 01/08/08. Operation 14/08/08
Hi Everyone

This is my first post, but I have been reading and learning a great deal from the forum especially this UK section for quite some time.

As a result of what I have read here I have decided to book a consultation with a surgeon.  I made the call three weeks ago and am having the meeting tomorrow.  I have to say I am looking forward to it and to finally getting a professional opinion on my chest.

My weight has fluctuated all my life (now 37), I have been massively overweight (3-4 stone) and I have been really skinny.  One constant through this is has been my moobs.  I was looking at some photos recently of when I was in basic training in the military - I was underweight, very fit but with large breasts.  One of my fellow trainees once called me " A skinny fat bas**rd".  That one comment has stuck with me for years.

To be honest I had grown to accept the situation  :-[ until I saw something on TV which detailed man boobs and named it "gynecomastia".

Having got a name I started research in the net which led me to this forum.  After a lot of reading, further research and talking the situation and the money over with my partner I have taken the plunge.

So I'll give a further update in the next couple of days and a few photos hopefully.

EricO
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:19:45 PM by EricO »
Surgery: 14-Aug-2008
Surgeon: Alex Karidis

hadenuf

Good luck with your consultation mate. Mine is tomorrow also. Who are you going to?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 05:03:57 PM by hadenuf »

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Hi Hadenuf, I went to see Dr. Karidis today and am typing this up on the way home.

One of the things about this forum I found most beneficial were other peoples "diary type" reports.  With that in mind I think I will follow suit with my own blow by blow account.

So here goes...

As I said earlier I called up for a consultation about 3 weeks ago following loads of research (especially on this site).  I travelled to London today and the hospital is really easy to find (about 2 mins walk from St John's Wood tube).

On arriving I noticed how clean and swish everything was - looked a very professional operation.  I booked in with the reception and waited for my appointment.

Whilst waiting there is some paperwork to fill in and an envelope is presented to you for the £75 consultation/charity fee.  As I was expecting this I had brought cash and popped it in the envelope.

Dr. Karidis came out and called me (on time) and we chatted whilst he showed me to his office.  He then asked me how he could help me and I gave him a summary of my problems with my chest area and the associated weight around there.  He asked me about my medical history then he examined the area of my chest.

It was all done in a friendly professional manner and after looking he explained that I had a mixture of gland and fat in the area.  He explained that it could be removed with surgery and how that surgery would be carried out.

He then went on to explain the risks of infection.  He also spoke about my expectations and told what I could hope to achieve.  He spoke about possible creases in the skin and that the healing process takes a long time 8 months +.

He then said I was free to ask any further questions, or take some time to think about it and ask questions at a later date - or if I wanted to explore time-lines and costs to have a chat with his secretary.

I was happy enough with the man's professionalism and the good reports I have had about him to go ahead and book up an appointment for surgery.

I then met his secretary and we discussed when the next appointment was available, she broke down the costs and I paid Dr. Karidis part by cheque (£2678) (could have paid by visa if needed).  The balance - hospital fees, anaesthetic after care etc is due later.  She said that she would write to my GP and sent a pre op pack out to me in the post.

I then had to take a blood test there which cost £125 (I could have opted to have this done by my GP but I had it done there and then).

After that I was free to return home.

I am very happy with my decision and looking forward to getting it done.

I have to give a special thank you to the members of this forum especially the ones that did a diary which helped greatly in my decision making process.

I'll post some existing photos shortly and let you guys know how it goes when I have the surgery.

Cheers all.

hadenuf

What time were you there? I was there today and found it similar to you. I was there around 12.30.

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Hi,  I was there at 09.30 and gone by 10.45, have you booked a date or are you taking time to think about it?

hadenuf

I was hoping to get in sooner, maybe a cancellation but had to go with the 4th of October. There was someone in just before me that got the 11th of August and would have been much more convienient for me really but never mind.

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Yea I was offered Oct too, however there was a slot in mid Aug (not 11th) but it was for an overnight stay which came in at £500 more.

I have a big occasion happening in Nov which I want to be well for and looking as good as possible - so after having a short think about it I opted to go for the overnight and the extra £500 cost.  I have the money saved so its not really an issue.

Probably a bit like yourself - when you make the decision to go for it - you want to do just that and not wait around.

Offline Roversboy

• Posting Member
I went to see him on Wednesday, the experience was pretty much as earlier described and I'm booked in for the 25th October, I'd loved to have done it sooner but in all honesty I need to shift some weight first and it ties in nicely with work etc
The only worry i've got is that i've got a Charity Ball to go to 3 weeks later and I'm hoping it won't be too tender etc, can't wait to have a suit on that sits properly without the moobs :) :)
Surgery : 25th October 2008
Surgeon : A Karidis

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Hi Roversboy,

can't wait to have a suit on that sits properly

Yea I feel completely the same, it's surprising what a slave to this condition you become.  I went shopping with the good lady the other day and saw loads of stuff (mainly summer cloths) that I would love to wear but would never even contemplate due to my chest.  Hopefully soon, I'll be able to pick what I want.

Good luck with the weight loss - I've shed nearly 3 stone over the last year but my chest has remained constant - will be great to finally feel the benefit of the weight loss I've worked so hard at.

Best Regards

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Hi All

Well I just received my pack from Dr. Karidis's office.  It goes over all the pre op and post op procedures some forms for signing and a reminder that I have to pay the hospital fees separately which I have just done by phone.

There is quite an in depth section on the good doctor himself (however I have previously read all this in my research).

There is my receipt from the monies already paid at my consultation (the actual surgeon fees)

My instructions on arriving at the hospital and appointment time, nil-by-mouth for 6 hours prior to admission etc.

My Arnica tablets (to help with post op swelling) which I need to take following the operation.

Information on cancelling or rescheduling the appointment and the fees concerning that.

Dos and Dont's regarding post operative liposuction

and finally an in-depth booklet regarding liposuction in greater detail.

All in all a professionally prepared pack

(its unfortunate that the post office isn't so professional.  Its raining here today and they let the letter get wet which caused one of the envelope ends to "open to the world" (good job gyne and liposuction isn't an embarrassing subject that we would like to keep to ourselves).  Some of the forms have become smudged but still readable)

Anyway I'm just preparing some "before photos" to post.

Regards all.

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Well as promised here are some photos of me pre-op

The first two were taken about 1 year ago when I decided to go on a weight loss program.  I am 1/4 inch under 6 ft and was 16st 7 (231 pounds / 105kgs) (clinically obese)

The second two are more recent and show me a couple of weeks ago at 13st 7 (189 pounds / 86kgs)

The last two show a frontal of my chest (on the next post)

Throughout my weight loss my chest has remained about the same.  I have taken regular body measurements over the year which has shown dramatic loss in my stomach, waist, arms, etc but stubbornly nothing/very little in my chest area.  I have gone from a 40inch waist trouser to a 34/36 but still the same chest measurement.

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
The Last two

Offline Albion71

• Bronze Member
Hi EricO. Good luck with the op. I went with Karidis and the service is very good.

One thing I should warn you though - don't expect everything to be healed in time for your November occasion... This thing takes time. I'm two months post op, and it's still pretty tender, and there's still quite a way to go with the recovery. Most people on here will tell you 6-12 months before you get near the final result.

Offline EricO

• Posting Member
Hiya

Thanks for the reply.  Yea I am expecting a long recovery period.  My occasion in Nov only requires that I look good in photos so hopefully I will be OK for that?

I have read your posts and have found them very helpful.  Hope your recovery continues, and you go from strength to strength.

Offline WXYZ

• Bronze Member
Eric),Thanks for your write-up.

I'm gonna pay by cheque, so how many seperate cheques would I have to give at the consultation?

It looks like, one for the consultation (£75), One for Karidis' fee (£2678) and one for the blood test (£125).

How long did the consultation last? How long including sorting the money-stuff and blood test were you at the hospital for? I have a consulatation coming up, but need to go somewhere soon after. Also did Karidis see you on time or did you have to wait? I previously tried the NHS route and for my consultation had to wait over 1.5 hours later to see the surgeon, and not only was I on time for the appointment, I was 15 mins early. What made it worse is the surgeon saw me for only 5-10 mins and couldn't answer my questions fully.
I'm sure it'll be a different story with Karidis.

By the way did they do ultrasound on the gyne?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024