Author Topic: Pubertal Gynecomastia and weight lifting  (Read 5664 times)

I was thinking today when i was exercising. I've come to realise from reading posts on these forums, that often, people who have pubertal gynecomastia start to lift weights a lot. Now, i was thinking. If estrogen is the hormone that causes gyne, then could weight lifting make it worse? Bare with me. I know that weight lifting can increase your testosterone greatly. It has also come to my belief that excess testosterone can be converted into estrogen. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but if weight lifting can lead to increased levels of testosterone(and in turn lead to increased levels of estrogen), could weight lifting at puberty could screw up your hormones even worse? In turn, making your gynecomastia even worse?

I'm no expert, but i'd like someone who has more knowledge on the subject to shed some light, could weight lifting make gynecomastia worse? Or is it better to just let things settle?

Offline LMC1307

• Bronze Member
That is a very good question that I couldn't give you a definitive answer to. It all has to do with your levels of testosterone, compared to your level of estrogen. But, if they are both linked in that way, then I suppose your theory could be correct. However, I don't think it would be enough to make the gyno noticeably worse. The truth is that building as much muscle as possible is important for your overall looks, and it will make your gyno less noticeable, but at first, it may make it protrude a little more. It all depends on the person and their genetics. So, I would say, keep hitting the weights. If you already have gyno, then the imbalance is already there. Muscle will only help. And if you decide to get it removed later in life, you will be glad you have some muscle.
Went under the knife on 7/27/07 - Revision 5/22/08 - Great results this far.
Surgery performed by Dr. Placik M.D. F.A.C.S. in Chicago, IL

cody sockeye

I was thinking today when i was exercising. I've come to realise from reading posts on these forums, that often, people who have pubertal gynecomastia start to lift weights a lot. Now, i was thinking. If estrogen is the hormone that causes gyne, then could weight lifting make it worse? Bare with me. I know that weight lifting can increase your testosterone greatly. It has also come to my belief that excess testosterone can be converted into estrogen. Now correct me if i'm wrong, but if weight lifting can lead to increased levels of testosterone(and in turn lead to increased levels of estrogen), could weight lifting at puberty could screw up your hormones even worse? In turn, making your gynecomastia even worse?

I'm no expert, but i'd like someone who has more knowledge on the subject to shed some light, could weight lifting make gynecomastia worse? Or is it better to just let things settle?

I've never heard that lifting weights significantly reduced the size of the gland. You are correct though, lifting with gyne does make it worse. The muscle actually pushes the gland up. You might have a nicer body, but that gland isn't going anywhere.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024