Author Topic: get rid of your moobs without surgery?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline industry7

• Posting Member
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see very many people here talking about HRT or other nonsurgical solutions.

Offline skyhawk

• Gold Member
Yes, this sight is mostly about surgery. But if you have some positive info on HRT that will get rid of gyno, I is listening.

Offline J03L

• Bronze Member
I've never heard of any working methods here other than surgery.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
HRT can make it worse. I have heard of guys using DHEA, but again I would think that in a very small group it would solve the problem. For many or most it could make it worse.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline adam_f

• Posting Member
Not wanting to sound like a synic but how the hell is a hormone going to get rid of extra TISSUE!!!

unless it attacks the tissue HRT will do nothing.

I know I seem like an arse saying this but if you have got the problem go and see a surgeon and get the Op done. It really is one of the best ways to get it gone!

I wish I had found this site years ago, if you get the surgery done you will have a fantastic support group here for you and there are plenty of people who understand what you are going through and will be there with advice and tips, obviously none of us a medically trained to give you advice but lets face it most of the suregons doing the op dont have to live with it do they!!

ADAM_F

Offline industry7

• Posting Member
I just found an abstract of an article from the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases about 4 men who had persistant drug induced gynecomastia, and were later successfully treated with a topical DHT gel.

"The use of tamoxifen for gynaecomastia has been studied previously in several centres. The table shows the various published studies on the use and efficacy of tamoxifen for physiological gynaecomastia in the English literature.6-9  Only two of these studies have more than 10 patients and both showed resolution of lump and pain in 80% of cases." (Ting AC, Chow LW, Leung YF. Comparison of tamoxifen with danazol in the management of idiopathic gynecomastia. Am Surg  2000;66: 38-40.[ISI][Medline], and Alagaratnam TT. Idiopathic gynecomastia treated with tamoxifen: a preliminary report.Clin Ther  1987;9: 483-7.[ISI][Medline])

HRT in general is still a fairly young branch of medicine.  Obviously there's not huge amounts of research being done in the area.  And further, what research is being done will probably not end up on your general practitioner's reading list. 

Not wanting to sound like a synic but how the hell is a hormone going to get rid of extra TISSUE!!!

unless it attacks the tissue HRT will do nothing.

Everyone knows that taking steroids makes your testicles shrink.  I'm sure you saw those videos in school about body builders who took anabolic steroids (synthetic testosterone analogues).  All those guys ended up with tiny nonfunctional (or barely functional) nuts.  Everybody knows this, but why does this happen though?  Obviously testosterone does directly target the testes and attack them to make them shrink, so how could this be happening?  Here's how:  exogenous testosterone raises the total testosterone above the body's normal limit.  This excess T is then converted to estradiol which signals the hypothalamus to stop producing GnRH (gonadotropin-releasing hormone) which signals the pituitary to stop producing LH (luteinizing hormone) which causes the testes to shut down (T production stops).  Normally, once T levels drop, this limiting system stops and T production resumes.  This is a feedback loop the body uses to keep optimal levels.  But when the body is getting T from an outside source, the testes are never turned back on b/c they don't need to be and as a result they atrophy.  This can cause permanent damage.  Oh and on the by and by, the extra estradiol also causes some body builders to get gyno.  Proper cycling can help minimize this, but the new tech is taking aromatase inhibitors to stop the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, and it works.  But the point I'm trying to illustrate here is that you don't have to be specifically targeting a particular tissue to make it grow or shrink.

So... basically what I'm trying to get at is that I think there are other valid forms of treatment aside from surgery that guys aren't really looking at.  And I think they should at least be aware that these options exist. 

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
IT really comes down to your genetics and body chemistry. The problem is that we don't really know enough about it to really know how anyone is going to respond.

Merle

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024