Author Topic: Looking for help and advice...  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Alfa

• Posting Member
Hi...

Just found this board in the search for information on gynecomastia. I'm looking for help in sorting out a couple of questions, but I guess I should begin with a little background info...

I think I was around 12 when I started developing gyne and getting fat(i'm 25 now, btw). I always used to think that the man boobs were linked to my fatness, so it's not until a couple of years ago that I learned about gyne. This was when I started getting serious with weight loss. Eventually I lost about 75lbs, but even when I started to go below ~15% body fat I still had a bit fat chest with a little odd shape... and if I bulk up, guess what grows first.

Anyway, I think you all can understand how much this is bothering me. I would love to get surgery done but I don't think I will have that kind of money in a long time, and this has been bothering me for way too long already. Here's where my first question comes in:

* Are there any meds that can help, like tamoxifen or whatever? I keep hearing different things all the time. Some say it helps while others say surgery is the only option. In my case it should be noted that just reducing some of the fat from my chest would probably help a lot. Also reducing the glandular tissue somewhat could probably help a lot with the shape. That is to say that if these meds would just help a little bit, they could still make a hell of a difference.

My second question is more regarding the reason behind this. I know it's pretty normal to get gyne during puberty but i'm still thinking about hormonal imbalances. It's like I tend to go between two extremes; at one end I feel great, even about the way I look, and at the other end it's just the exact opposite. It's like I go between these two in cycles, and it seems my body is affected by it too. It can go from looking tight and fit to just flabby, and I don't think i'm the only one noticing it either. It also seems like it's affecting the gyne too, some days it's less noticeable...

I can't say that I notice any other weird issues, other than an perhaps unusually weak growth of facial hair.

Of course I will go see a doctor about this, but I would very much like to hear different opinions on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

DrBermant

Hi...

Just found this board in the search for information on gynecomastia. I'm looking for help in sorting out a couple of questions, but I guess I should begin with a little background info...

I think I was around 12 when I started developing gyne and getting fat(i'm 25 now, btw). I always used to think that the man boobs were linked to my fatness, so it's not until a couple of years ago that I learned about gyne. This was when I started getting serious with weight loss. Eventually I lost about 75lbs, but even when I started to go below ~15% body fat I still had a bit fat chest with a little odd shape... and if I bulk up, guess what grows first.

Anyway, I think you all can understand how much this is bothering me. I would love to get surgery done but I don't think I will have that kind of money in a long time, and this has been bothering me for way too long already. Here's where my first question comes in:

* Are there any meds that can help, like tamoxifen or whatever? I keep hearing different things all the time. Some say it helps while others say surgery is the only option. In my case it should be noted that just reducing some of the fat from my chest would probably help a lot. Also reducing the glandular tissue somewhat could probably help a lot with the shape. That is to say that if these meds would just help a little bit, they could still make a hell of a difference.

My second question is more regarding the reason behind this. I know it's pretty normal to get gyne during puberty but i'm still thinking about hormonal imbalances. It's like I tend to go between two extremes; at one end I feel great, even about the way I look, and at the other end it's just the exact opposite. It's like I go between these two in cycles, and it seems my body is affected by it too. It can go from looking tight and fit to just flabby, and I don't think i'm the only one noticing it either. It also seems like it's affecting the gyne too, some days it's less noticeable...

I can't say that I notice any other weird issues, other than an perhaps unusually weak growth of facial hair.

Of course I will go see a doctor about this, but I would very much like to hear different opinions on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
There are many medications / drugs that can cause gynecomastia.   

There are also many other causes of gynecomastia

When there is an medical problem such as an endocrinology disorder, medical treatments are the best first step.  Surgery is better reserved for a table condition in most situations.  The most common topical treatment is testosterone for those patients with low levels.  This is not applied to the chest, but to the skin (or by injection).  Antiestrogens can help with certain conditions but are not suitable for long term use.  Such issues are best explored with an endocrinologist.

I take care of many Bodybuilders with Gynecomastia.  It does not take much gland / fat to interfere with a cut look.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Alfa

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply Doc!

A couple of things I forgot to mention regarding hormones is that I sometimes get sort outburst of acne on my chest and back(I usually have very little acne), and it seems my testes change size in relation to each other(like sometimes one is smaller and the other bigger... which seems kinda weird).

Anyway... I have made an appointment but the process of seeing a doctor where I live is... well, let's just call it slow. Which, of course, means that before I can get any sure answers i'm sort of reading everything I can find and just worrying about possible causes(hell, if I was taller I would even suspect Klinefelter...).

Regarding hormones i'm aslo a bit cuious about how to... um... measure libido. When you read about lack of testosterone they always mention poor libido. How do you determine what's normal, so you can know if it's bad? I mean, for me I can't say that it's changed much since I was 15 and I have always considered it normal, so I don't really have any references.

By the way, you mentioned different medications. I have Crohns disease which means I take Azatioprin regularly and in the past i've had (lots of) cortisone. Do you know if these medications can have any effect on gyne?

Offline fed-up

• Silver Member
Hi mate.... Im getting blood tests wednesday to check my Testosterone/Estrogen levels etc. Personally, but im no expert, it sounds like you do have a hormone imbalance. I've always though that my gyne was due to being obese as a child, so at 16 i began the cutting fase. Im now 14.7 muscular built and still have them, so i went to see the doc & he's reffered me to get it done on the NHS. But i've always been curious as if it was down to my hormones as im always horny & started puberty at a very young age so ive asked for a blood test just to check.
Anyway - good luck
Surgery performed by Alex Karidis - 11/09/08

Offline Alfa

• Posting Member
Yeah, I think hormone imbalance is the most probable cause, especially lately when my head's just been a friggin mess... Somethings not right, that's for sure.

An interesting thing is that I would have the signs of low testosterone if it wasnt for the sex drive. I look younger than I am, have thin and often a bit dry skin, almost no facial hair, usually very little acne, I tend to store fat around my midsection and thighs/butt...also, I think puberty was pretty slow and undramatic. However, the thing is that I need sex at least daily to maintain my sanity, and if I have time I sure as hell would like it a lot more than that. I have nothing to compare it to, but I don't think it's a sign of poor sex drive. Though I can't say i'm horny all the time either.

Well, I don't know... it's just seems a little weird.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024