Author Topic: How tight immediately after op, and a few weeks later  (Read 3177 times)

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member
Hi,

This is my first post (can't believe it) but what a fantastic site this is!
I just wanted to clarify something..I read somewhere that certain people recommended a particular "tightness" of garment for immediately after surgery, which suggests that the recommended tightness would be differerent a little later (maybe a coulpe of weeks?)...is that true? is the immediate post op garment meant to be tighter than one you would wear a little later?

Also, is there such a thing as medically too tight when healing from the op? (I'm awaiting some cheeky answers!lol) i.e so tight that it hinders your healing. I mean, should you aim to get the TIGHTEST compression garment that you can stand? (i.e. the tighter the better)..and if so, does this rule also change depending on if you are immediately post-op or further down the road to recovery..
phew!!

Thanks!

M

Offline michaelmorey

• Bronze Member

Offline KryptoKnight

• Silver Member
  • surgery worth every penny
Get it tight but not tight enough where you feel it affects your regular breathing.

Offline PaulSW

• Silver Member
My compression vest had two sets of hooks noe tighter than the other. The thing was very tight and annoying but i had been told to tighten it after 2 weeks using the further hooks so id did. It was really tight and my breathing became harder and my back was killing me. Asked what i should do and was told to go back to the first set of hooks. Eventually (4 weeks after surgery) I managed the tighter setting but I was glad to be rid of the vest at 8 weeks.

Hope this helps
Surgery DEC 07 Dr Benito
Revision March 09 Dr Benito
Injection for scar tissue March 2011 Dr Levick

Pictures - http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=12440.0

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Dude, if you have probs breathing and are experiencing back pain, then the garment is WAY too tight! Just use a little common sense here. The purpose of a Post-Op 'compression' garment is to hold the disturbed flesh together so that it will heal well. It also helps to keep the swelling down (so I am told).

As for the garment being tighter/slacker at different points of Post-Op healing, why bother? Just have it snug and not causing you any discomfort.

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline 9Wolf

• Bronze Member
  • Seize the day! Be free of your burden...
Like Grandpa said, not too tight. My surgeon told me to just have it 'snug', NOT tight. And like you guessed, if it's too tight, it WILL impede the blood flow and impeding the blood flow will not allow your chest to heal efficiently. The tightness is only to hold your loose skin in place so that it contracts correctly, and also to allow the internal bruising to heal right and not have your remaining soft tissue and bruised muscle get jostled around while it's all mending back together. It's the same as getting a retainer for your teeth after braces. You need to have your body understand that it all has to "stay together" after the initial physical trauma. And yes you can get looser compression after 4-6 weeks (stage 2 is what some call it.)
Triple Surgery done in Chandigarh, India (Jan 10, 2008):
1. Gynecomastia Surgery (simultaneously with #2)
2. Tonsillectomy
3. Septoplasty (5 days after #1 and 2)

3 lifelong problems wiped out in a flash of knives... Now recovering and excited beyond belief. :)

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024