Author Topic: Compression vest compulsary?  (Read 2543 times)

Offline cancerian2u

• Posting Member
Guys,
It's my 6th day after surgery and i have been having very discomfort with this compression vest. What is the use of this? What if i dont wear this? or can i skip wearing it for about 5-6 hrs a day? The discomfort because of this is more than the actual pain/disomfort because of surgery....please advise.

Thanks in advance...

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Your surgeon will use  whatever they have had good results with in the past. We hear from many men who have significant amounts of post operative swelling or hematomas. The one person who has the most to gain or lose is the patient. Do not be foolish enough to try and second guess the surgeon and change the post operative regimen.
Grandpa Dan

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
second that.  did he say how long to wear it?  you really want this to come out right, if it takes a little more discomfort, a few more days, a week, whatever, is really nothing for long-term results.  you can ask if it's too tight, but this is one to discuss with the doc. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline tttdone

• Bronze Member
wear a small tshirt or tanktop under the vest. sometimes this relieves the discomfort
Surgery on 8/20/2008

Offline Copespo

• Gold Member
As far as I understand wearing this vest prevents from blood building up in the chest since its tightly compressed at all times. If you surgeon didnt tell you to take it off yet, then stick to it, I mean you suffered with the gyne discomfort for such a long time why not just wait it out a bit more with the vest. :)
Lose 10 (kg) by August... Achieved
Lose 5 (kg) by Mid-September.....Achieved
Gain 20 (lb) in Muscle by December.......Achieved, Gained 24lb in Muscle
Gynecomastia Consultation October 17, 08......Complete

Surgery Completed January 8th, 2009 with Dr. Elliot Jacobs in NYC!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, wearing a really snug compression garment 24/7 (except for a shower) is perhaps the most important aspect about your gyne surgery, except for the surgery itself.  Let me give you an analogy:  If you were to twist your ankle, the first thing you do is wrap it tight with an Ace bandage and elevate your leg to reduce swelling.  What does the Ace do?  It puts PRESSURE on the area, which in turn will reduce swelling, stop or diminish any post op bleeding, diminish pain and hasten healing.  That is exactly what a compression garment does for your chest after surgery.  Think of it as an Ace bandage for your chest -- although it is easier to put on and take off rather than wrapping yourself in yards of Ace bandages.

The compression garment is admittedly a royal pain in the XXX!  But it is absolutely necessary.  I request my patients to wear it a minimum of 3-4 weeks after surgery -- and more if they can bear it.  The tighter you wear it, the less swelling, the less bruising, the faster the healing.  Many of my patients actually get used to it and really feel "secure" while wearing it.  For example, if you are not wearing it and go over a bump in your car, you will actually feel the pull and discomfort in your chest.  Wearing the garment minimizes that.

Please bear in mind that each surgeon has his/her own regimen for recommending a compression garment, based on his own experience and preferences.  My best advice:  you trusted your surgeon to do your operation -- so trust him and follow his post op directions to the letter.  If you don't, you are only harming yourself.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Noseguard

• Silver Member
  • You t*t, what's he gonna do nibble your bum?
One Suggestion

Dr. Jacobs gave me a binder not a vest after surgery.  I used it regularly for about a week then it became not just uncomfortable but painful in spots.  I bought a vest and began alternating between the two.  Typically I would wear the vest during the day and the binder at night.

The binder tended to slip down during the day, but stayed in place nicely at night laying down.  The vest stayed up better.  They both put pressure on my chest, but by alternating it kept the discomfort down.

Offline Allhopeaside

• Posting Member
i have a quite snug tank top compression garment from underworks to wear after surgery. how tight is too tight? as long as im not uncomfortable in it id think its ok, but doesnt that area need to breathe at all and allow alot of blood to get to it to heal? some advice would be helpful if possible... thanks
AM I NOT A BETTER MAN?
A MAN WHO HAS GROWN SOUND AND STRONG
A MAN WHO HAS LEARNED FROM HIS MISERY
AM I NOT A BETTER MAN?
A CLEVER MAN WHO TAUGHT HIS FLESH THE WAY OF STEEL THIS LASTING MAN OF RESOLVE AND WILL
AM I NOT A BETTER MAN?
OR JUST A BITTER MAN
THAT ROTS WITH MEMORIES AND ONLY GROWS COLD

INDEED I HAVE GROWN COLD

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024