Author Topic: causes and returns  (Read 2278 times)

Offline tomorrow

• Posting Member
I just got tested for a testosterone deficiency and everything came back normal. I was hoping that was the cause of my gyne since I can't figure out any other causes. Age 30, 6'4", 206lbs. relatively good shape. 8 years with gyne. I used to think I could bench press my way out but learned otherwise. My doctor said surgery is the only way to get rid of it. Without knowing any specifics, any guesses as to the cause? I've never been overweight and don't take drugs. Also if I elect to have surgery, whats the likelyhood that the problem will just return?

Offline aux513s

• Silver Member
The doctor might have interpreted the test results wrong, or not tested for the right things.

From reading ths forum I've realized just how incompetent a lot of doctors are. It's kind of frightening actually.

Offline tomorrow

• Posting Member
I have also read that Zinc helps balance hormones and can prevent gyne. Most, if not all, gyne cases are due to zinc deficiency. Anyone else hear this? I also read alcohol will produce estrogen in males that could be a cause of gyne.

Offline Spleen

At 30 assuming that your hormones are in the normal range and that you're a typical male with a deep voice, body hair, a libido, etc.  you're probably OK.  I think it's important to get your hormones checked, but assuming the ordinary baseline tests are OK and the gyne is not a recent development surgery is most likely the best option if you want to get rid of the teats.  If you want to double-check on the hormones make sure you see an endocrinologist that specializes in reproductive endocrinology.

Offline hypo

Spleen,

I'm afraid having a deep voice, body hair and libido do not preclude hypogonadism.

You did advice well though instating the need for endocrine investigations.

Some men develop hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, sometimes referred to as secondary hypogonadism post puberty.

In such men puberty is totally normal and everything is A-ok until one day the pituitary decides to lower the gonadotropin LH.  What happens is that despite having healthy testicles that can produce good quantities of testosterone, they reduce their output of testosterone because of the lack of instruction from the pituitary.

If a man develops gynecomastia post puberty this is one of the possible causes.

It is why I have low testosterone- post chemotherapy- post puberty.

Routine endocrine testing for gynecomatia can rule this possible cause out along with other possible causes.

Tomorrow,

Were you tested by your doctor or an endocrinologist?

It is far better to have such testing under the expert care of an endocrinologist- particularly one who specializes in reproductive endocrinology.

Can you get a copy of your test results?

If you can and post them here or to me in a pm, I can give your the view from the perspective of a patient who has testosterone deficiency as to how ok your result looks.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:43:28 PM by hypo »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024