Author Topic: Just Emailed Mom  (Read 8918 times)

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
I just looked up you photos and while I can see what you are talking about, I also see where your parents are coming from and I'd have to side with them. I just don't see that those little nipps are worth the cost and risk of surgery.

That said, I can't get inside your head and know how it is effecting you. As previously said, you only need to wait a year and you can do it on your own.
Grandpa Dan

Offline FreeinVegas

• Posting Member
I had my procedure a week ago and I'm 29.  My only regret so far is that I put it off, but I spent a lot of time in college and doing grad/law school.  I'm finally in a place that I could afford it.  I told my folks and they were both very supportive. But, then again, they're both on the other end of the country and I don't need permission. 

For me, the ultimate reason I wanted to do it was for my own self image.  One can't deny that his self image is due in part to how he believes others perceive him, but this is ultimately for you.  If it's what you want, then simply wait till you're the age of consent.   I know it's a good thing to know that your parents are behind you on your decisions though.  Even at my age, if either of them had expressed a negative attitude or questioned my judgment, I may have very well talked myself out of it again. 

Keep at it, man.  Keep saving your cash so that the surgery won't deplete your funds.  Not to mention, there are other costs that go along with it, such as post-op bandages..your meds, stuff like that.  Just use this time till you're 18 to really focus and prepare.  Hell, go make the appt the day you turn 18!!

Offline anon85

• Posting Member
i found your pics and id have to disagree with your mom on this one.  You don't have a severe case but you do show obvious signs of gyn.  id suggest getting a part time job and sticking with it and paying for the surgery on your own.  im almost 24 and havent had the surgery yet.  its better to wait until your a little older anyway just to be on the safe side. be patient young man.

I agree with this post. Wait it out a bit. At 17, they might still go away. Did you say how long you've had gyne?

Offline Jack17

• Bronze Member
Since I was maybe 13, not sure exactly.

I remember my doc pointing out on his own that they would go away years ago, but 5 months short of 18, I don't feel like that's happening.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Well, you only need one of them to sign off on it.  Try to talk your dad into it.  Tell him, if you don't, I'm just going to go get it done in 5 months anyway. 

You should make sure you get a good surgeon, you have a pretty mild case.  You need to make sure it comes out well or you will regret getting the surgery in the first place. 

Offline Merangue

• Silver Member
Took a look at your pics, you do have an extremely minor case. I think it's unreasonable to expect your body to be absolutely perfect. I don't think anyone would seriously make fun of those little things if they saw them either.

It's mainly in your head and could probably be categorized as some sort of disorder if you can't get past it (like the girls who die b/c they don't think they're skinny enough).

Offline iFlow

• Posting Member
Show your mom in person (last resort) but hey, u gotta do what u gotta do, so u can do what u wanna do

Offline Pacifico

• Silver Member
Jack, although your case may look minor to us, that does not effect how you feel.  I totally understand where you are comming from!  My Dad said the same Hog Wash to me about push-ups and such for losing gyne.  He did care when he said it, so I can understand his position.  That being said you should be so lucky to have the cash and, be almost eighteen!!  I am so happy for you!!  I just had mine done in December and I am on top of the world!!  I can't wait for you to join the club.  Funny thing is, your Mom is right, it's all in your head!!  If you had no mental trauma, you would not care!!  That being said, for me and probably you, it will take surgery to get it out of your head :-).   The good news is you willl be a better person after this and more sympathetic when somebody voices a problem--maybe your kids one day.   Stay strong, and look forward to your 18th!!!!  I can't fault your parents, cuz I can understand their point, even though they don't understand the reality of the situation.  However if you had a very severe case, it would be easy to frown upon them, should they hold their position.  All my best!!!

Offline Jack17

• Bronze Member
Well, I'm sure everyone in the world thinks that their problems are the worst in the world, and that everyone else is just bellyaching. That's probably natural.

But I've made the determination that the stress it gives me is worth the money and inconvenience of an operation. That's a determination that's going to be different for everyone. I do stupid things like adjusting what clothes I wear, and slouching, or avoiding shirtless situations when I can. Is that unnecessary? I don't know. But I have the money to spend, and I've made the determination that it's something I wanted to do.

I saw to my general physician of 10 years today. I spoke to him for maybe 10 minutes. I told him that I was considering having the operation. He said he prefers to see them go away on their own (which he told me at 13 or 14), but at a few months short of 18, most likely they won't. He told me that I was healthy, I had never been unhealthy, and that my risk factors for complications from a conscious sedation surgery like that are super low.

I go to the gym 3 times a week, have 15.6% body fat (target for men is 15% to 18%), and don't take any medications. He told me that it's a simple surgery as far as surgeries go, and that if it was something that bothered me, then I should get it taken care of.

He gave me the names of two surgeons he knows, and said I should go see them if I wanted.

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Hey, again, I would pick a surgeon from this board who has done lots of these, I wouldn't trust some random surgeon that you general referred you to, this is a pretty specialized operation.  Your case is so minor that you will regret it if it doesn't look almost perfect. 

Offline Jack17

• Bronze Member
Yea, one of them was just a general surgeon. The other was a plastic surgeon who I've actually been in email contact with. He's been board certified for over 20 years, and does like 3 gyne surgeries a month (which is supposed to be a lot). I think I'd want to at least see both. My doctor said it's always good to go to two surgeons to get different opinions (which makes sense), but in the end I think I'd definetly go with the one who does a lot of these.   

Offline headheldhigh01

• destined to stand on a beach shirtless
jack, congrats on having the balls to take the first step, most of us never did that.  if the first step doesn't take, you catch yourself and keep moving like you did.  and you're right, it's not what other people think that matters.  if you're not happy with it, you have the right to decide this for yourself.  good going. 
* a man is more than a body will ever tell
* if it screws up your life the same, is there really any such thing as "mild" gyne?

Offline Jack17

• Bronze Member
Dad had a difficult time justifying stopping it after I told him what my general physician had to say.

I have a consult with a surgeon June 2nd.  :)

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Hey, pretty soon you'll be Jack18, and then you can do what you want.  If you already have the money saved, you're way ahead of most guys.  Hopefully your parents will soon warm up to the idea.
Congratulations on breaking the ice with your parents.

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

illuzionz23

i got the same response from my parents too -_-
i regret telling them

im 18 and only make 8 an hour part time workin at dunkin, but, in due time, when i save enough money, i'll be getting surgery asap
the fact that kills me is that i have to work for a straight year, just to pay off surgery alone. but u gotta do what u gotta do...

ur incrediblly lucky you got the money for surgery at 17 :P

https://forum.gynecomastia.org/Themes/Gaming-Nation/images/post/xx.gif
Has anyone emailed Dr. Karidis, or have you guys mostly called him?

Started by Cellar_Door on U.K.

2 Replies
Last post: April 25, 2009, 07:19:17 PM
by
Cellar_Door

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024