Author Topic: Gynecomastia and then normal wtf :S?  (Read 3310 times)

Offline renado

Okay iv recently turned 18, and yes i do think i have gynecomastia but however whenever im cold or after a workout my nipples go hard and flat and then it looks fine like it looks flat :S but then after a while it goes back to being kind of pointy again, i dunno what it is and if i do have gynecomastia or not can any one relate to this or help me please, would be much appreciated. many thanks

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
What you are describing is very typical in cases of gynecomastia, where you have enough breast tissue behind the nipple/areola complex to cause a "puffy nipple" appearance. However, when the smooth muscle tissue in that area contracts and the nipples become erect, the smooth muscle (involuntary) flattens the areolae, causing the gynecomastia to go away.  I see many gyne patients in my office who can't demonstrate their puffy nipple appearance, either because the room is cold or they're nervous, or both.

Welcome to the site, BTW.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline renado

So how could i get rid of them then ? any suggestions? will gym help ?? will it fade over time, iv recently turned 18

DeeDubStyle619

How long have you had pointy nipples. If more than 2 years or so, surgery is your only option.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
What you are describing is a normal physiologic change of your chest due to tightening of the tiny muscle fibers within the areola.  When they tighten, they push any excess tissue downwards and presto, you look trim and flat.  When they relax, the puffiness returns.

Doubtful if this will disappear spontaneously. 

There are two ways to go.  Either wear a snug compression garment all the time or else consider surgery (done by an experienced gyne surgeon) to remove just the excess tissue beneath the areola which causes the puffiness.  Then your chest would be flat in any condition.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Okay iv recently turned 18, and yes i do think i have gynecomastia but however whenever im cold or after a workout my nipples go hard and flat and then it looks fine like it looks flat :S but then after a while it goes back to being kind of pointy again, i dunno what it is and if i do have gynecomastia or not can any one relate to this or help me please, would be much appreciated. many thanks

There is a Thin Muscle of the Areola That When Stimulated Flattens Puffy Nipples. Once this muscle relaxes, the underlying contour reveals itself. The Anatomy of Puffy Nipples will consist of gland, fat, and skin.

Cold or mechanical stimulation contracts this muscle. That is why my exam rooms and where I photograph my patients is kept warm (or at least a standardized temperature) for consistency. I also document the room temperature for any exam of the nipple as part of each patient's record. That way my before / after surgery pictures, exam of the problem before surgery and exam after surgery are made as consistent as possible.

It is not practical to keep stimulating this muscle. I have seen patients with a sore chest from such attempts. No Surgery Body Shaping Garments are less traumatic for hiding this contour, but only work while being worn. Options for possible surgery depend on many other factors best explored during a consultation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline renado

Ahh Man! i was really hoping it would go away! i think iv had it from when i was like 14 15, im not keen on getting a surgery as i cant afford it :(, looks like if i am with a girl in a room then i will need to keep making the temperatrure  cold to make it flat!!  but i watched embarrasing bodies and this guy had similar situation as me 18 and they said it would go away after some time! they are professional too, so duno what to do, stupid gynecomastia! why me!! :(

DrBermant

Ahh Man! i was really hoping it would go away! i think iv had it from when i was like 14 15, im not keen on getting a surgery as i cant afford it :(, looks like if i am with a girl in a room then i will need to keep making the temperatrure  cold to make it flat!!  but i watched embarrasing bodies and this guy had similar situation as me 18 and they said it would go away after some time! they are professional too, so duno what to do, stupid gynecomastia! why me!! :(

There can be a Great Deal of Emotion Living with Gynecomastia. Gynecomastia often does go away on its own. However, what has not resolved by 2 years usually does not.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024