Author Topic: Finally seeing an endocinologist.  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Ludvig

Hey guys,

I am finally seeing a pediatric endocrinologist this week after I found out that this actually had a name. I've had this since I was around 13 or 14. I am now 17 and it hasn't really dispersed. So what hormones should I get tested and what questions should I ask, etc? My primary reason for seeing the endocrinologist is to see if everything is alright hormonally and then proceed with surgery, which my parents have already agreed to. My biggest fear is re-growth.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Assuming all your endo tests are normal, then fear not -- re-growth is highly unlikely.

The original set of circumstances that began the growth of your gyne at age 13 - 14 is probably now gone -- what you are dealing with is the result of that temporary hormonal imbalance (ie excess tissue).

It has been my experience that in situations of stable gyne, surgical removal of the excess tissues has resulted in permanent improvement.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome to gyne.org, Ludvig.

Your endo will know which blood/hormone tests you need to properly evaluate your condition.  They've seen this before and it's their job.  If your hormones are fine, the main thing you need to know from him is if he thinks your gynecomastia is "stable," meaning.....no longer active and/or growing.  (You probably already know that yourself.)  But you'll need to verify it with him before you start thinking about surgery to get it corrected, because if it's still active, you would have to put it off until it IS stable.  Surgery on unstable and still growing gyne can result in regrowth.  So obviously, there's no point in having the surgery until you know it's not going to come back.

So the main things you need to know from him are if your hormones and health are fine, and if so, are you good to go for surgery?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024