Author Topic: New guy here  (Read 1933 times)

Offline ChrisK

• Posting Member
Hi guys,
I've been lurking here for weeks and finally registered for an account to be part of the conversation.

I'm 45 and developed gyno over the past year after my hormones got out of whack (perhaps due to my age, or some meds I was taking, or both...who knows).  I'm pretty fit (6' 2", 192 pounds) and work out/run/do and teach yoga every day.  At first just thought my pecs were becoming more defined...and that it must be causing the strange pains in my chest, but then having my nipples stick through my shirt and seeing a more curvy contour on them made me realize something strange was going on. I still remember the first time I turned sideways and looked in the mirror and saw the beginnings of a teardrop shape that I recognized as looking like a woman's breast, not a mans.   I hoped it was just a bad dream but the next day, I saw it again and its remained and grown over the past year.   Its still sore from time to time (which I learned here means they may still be growing) and I just hope that it stops (PLEASE!).

I find myself wearing lots of sweat jackets and vests so that no one can see my breasts (so weird to see that in writing - "my breasts").   I'm sure some people have noticed but are too nice to say anything.   Meanwhile, my wife and I have been going through some rough times this year (almost got divorced) so I haven't told her and she hasn't said anything.  I can't imagine what that conversation is going to be like...ugh.  I figure she'll notice it and ask me since I've been sitting around at home in t-shirts lately (without a jacket or vest) so she can see what's going on...but quietly hope she doesn't.
Continued.

Offline ChrisK

• Posting Member
Continued from above.

Its freaky to slouch here typing and see how my shirt folds naturally across my chest right at the nipple line...pull it down again and it folds again in the same place.  Good thing its winter and I have lots of vests and jackets to wear all the time.

Since I run just about every day, I also noticed my chest hurting after running...it would hurt for hours after running but I refused to believe I needed a sports bra.  Last week I finally broke down and went into REI and under the cover of a busy Christmas shopping crowd tried on a bunch of sports bras and ended up buying 4 of them.  It was scary easy since I filled my basket with a few shirts and things then went to the ladies section and picked out some sports bras in what I though would be my size. I measured myself beforehand and looked at some online bra size calculators which was a bug help.

Then, I went to the try-on area with my basket and tried them on - not to mention learning how to put them on, fasten them, etc. Going through the checkout was no big deal since they thought they were for my wife.  I've been running in them this week and its made a huge difference - I can run again without pain and the support feels really good. My favorite so far is the Moving Comfort Fiona which I wear in a 38B.    If you told me a year ago that I would be wearing a sports bra, I'd say you were crazy (and maybe take a swing at you) but right now, its OK.  I'm now starting to figure I can survive until they (haven't named them yet) stop growing then see what options I want to go with.  I figure my wife's reaction will have s lot to do with it.  Thanks for listening!

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Welcome to gyne.org., ChrisK.  

Have you tried the compression shirts?  Just Google them, or "gynecomastia shirts".  They work well.  They are just like a regular pull over shirt, but quite tight and suppress the boobs very well...even for running.  The secret is not to get one that's too tight or you won't wear it.  I think a size larger than your actual chest size is probably the way to go.  

I prefer the tank top (low cut and no sleeves), as it can't be noticed under a regular shirt.

Do you still consider your gyne to be "active?"  You said your hormones got out of whack.  Have you been to a doctor to have them checked?  Are they okay now?  

As you probably know, doctors advise the condition be stable for at least a few months before having surgery.  If not stable, they can grow right back.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 01:35:35 AM by Raider Fan »

Offline ChrisK

• Posting Member
Hi Raider Fan and thanks.

The doc said it was my recurring need for Cipro (I was getting a lot of GI infections) and Zantac plus a drop it T production (and accompanying estrogen rise) that triggered it.   They never said anything about it being active or not active and they are monitoring my hormone levels every few months. If I had to guess, I'd say its still active because I've had soreness in them for a few weeks and it feels like they may be growing again.

I tried on a few those compression shirts and they choke the life out of me.  I'm thin and athletic (with a flat stomach) and hate having all of that pressing down on my whole torso.  What I like about the Fiona sports bra is that it compresses nothing but my boobs, leaving them rest of my body to breath.  Plus, it keeps them from bouncing while I run - since that is what its designed to do.  I only wear it  for running/working out but today wore it most of the day since the compression kept them down and less visible.  

I may need to revisit the compression shirt (using your sizing advice) for social situations once the weather warms up again.  I just don't think they'll provide any bounce protection when I'm running.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Here's a style you might be interested in.  It says it just compresses the chest and not the stomach. 

http://www.underworks.com/988.html

But if you're happy with the sports bra, that's great.  The only thing that really matters is that you found something that you like and works for you.

Yeah, the first compression shirt I bought was in my size but was simply way too tight.....so tight that I didn't wear it because it was too uncomfortable.  Not only was it too tight for my chest and stomach, it pressed into my skin under my arms.  So I sent it back and got one size bigger and it was much better.  These shirts compress so much that there's no way your chest could bounce.  They are are so tight, you can't even put them on over your head like a regular shirt.  You have to step into it and pull it up. 

Offline ChrisK

• Posting Member
Thanks Raider!

I'll check those out since I'm only interested in sports bras for running (and want just my big dudes mashed for that, not my whole torso). 

I finally told my wife tonight and she was incredibly understanding.  What a relief...I was very nervous and had no idea how she would react but reading all of the different posts on this site made me realize that I needed to tell her and that it would be OK.

Surprisingly, she (being a physical therapy assistant and lover of all things medical) was already familiar with gyno and knew how common it is in guys my age, etc.  Wow! 

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Glad to hear you got a favorable reaction. 

Often, I think it is US that make gyne more of a problem than it really is.  Not that it can't be a major stressor and a source of embarrassment.  It obviously can.  But I don't think people notice half as much as we think they do.  Most often, the people who love us certainly aren't going to care.  It's not like their opinion of us is going to go down because of something we have no control over.  That's just what we are afraid might happen, but that is usually nowhere close to reality.  Rather, the response from our family and true friends will typically be one of concern, and they will be supportive. 

Most who know anything about gynecomastia know it's a common problem in men and it's a hormonal problem.  Women know about hormones and they can relate.  The good news is.....it's not going to kill anyone.....and it can be corrected. 

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Raider Fan,

That was a truly sage set of observations.

ChrisK,

As you have found out for yourself, There are actually many possible answers. How to cope with the condition could actually be different depending upon the concern of the moment. Don't rule anything out.

To all,

One day while my mind was wandering I immagined a scenario as follows: God is on one side of the scene and man is on the opposite side. They are separated by a veil which works like a one way mirror so God can see the man but the man sees his own reflection. According to the caption, God says: "Finally, Perfection at last".  While man says: "Why am I so deformed?" Just food for thought.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Se4nH4x

Hello ChrisK! Exactly what medication are you talking about? Steoroids? Because steoroids can cause breast increasing.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024