Author Topic: Going to doc tomorrow about gyno.. need info please  (Read 1721 times)

Offline dcp330c330c

• Posting Member
So i have finally got the courage to go to the doctor tomorrow about my gyno.. I have found out my insurance covers gyno surgery. What are the step in which all this happens? blood tests? , will the doctor organise most it? How long does it usually take before actually surgery. thanks

Offline dcp330c330c

• Posting Member
i also only seem to have it on one side, is this normal?

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
Congratulations on taking your first step and on your insurance covering gyne surgery.  Man, I wish my insurance covered it too.

Anyhow, so my experience may differ from yours, but I went in for my consult and the surgeon was pretty much ready to schedule me for it as early as I wanted.  I waited a few months, and finally mustered up the courage to call and schedule last week.  They put me down for November 1st, which was earliest available, and they did say I would need to go in two weeks prior for preliminary tests.  I'm not sure what tests they are talking about, but from what the receptionist told me, they are going to fit me for the vest, take pictures, talk with the surgeon again and the anesthesiologist.

Also, during the initial consult, I did ask the surgeon if I needed to get clearance from my doctor first, to which he replied, "no".  He followed up by saying that it's a pretty straight-forward surgery--to just get it down and out of the way, and get on with life.  So you know, I did end up checking with my doctor and she just blew it off too.  She told me it was a very minor surgery and to just get it down.  I'm a little concerned she didn't send me for blood tests or a heart test, but she said I'm a healthy male, so not to worry.  In any event, I hope they're both right.  They both make it seem the surgery is nothing--almost as if they were working in tandem. 

As I said, my experience may differ from yours, and I'm not qualified to speak on your condition.  I can say that I have had gyne since my teenage years.  Once it appeared, and it is a slight case, nonetheless a case, it never got any bigger.  It's just there.  I think that's why my doctor didn't send me to get blood tests or anything else.  You mentioned you have a one sided case.  Had you told me that 3 years back, I would have thought that unusual.  From everything I've read on this site, a lot of guys had one sided gyno too.  If it makes you feel better, ask your doc to send you for blood tests. 

Good luck man, and do keep us updated.

Offline morpheus11

• Silver Member
Ohh shoot, almost forgot.  Before you go, check this site for questions to ask your surgeon.  That is extremely important.  Write them down, and ask him/her.  I'm sure there is a post somewhere on here, but generally ask things like

1. how many times have you performed the surgery?
2. What method do you use? Lipo or excision or both?
3. Will you remove the gland?  How will that look in comparison to my other non-gyne breast?
4. Are you a board certified surgeon?
5. Is your anesthesiologist board certified?  (note, not sure if they are also certified)
6. What is the recovery like?
7. Will I wear a vest after the surgery, and will I have drains on?
8. do you have any pictures of other gyne surgeries you've done?

By no means is this a definitive list, but I would think it's a good start. 

Offline dcp330c330c

• Posting Member
Thanks for the reply.. Ya after years of thinking exercise will get rid of it im finally saying to myself DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, going to be kind of embarrassed explaining it to my doc but darn it i cant take anymore of it!! My insurance needs proof i think that i do actually have gyno so my doctor will prob send me for blood tests so i can then send to my insurance. Im hoping he will help me find a surgeon aswel, hes a sound guy so he should do! I will be back to see how it goes!! thanks again!!

thanks for the list aswel i will be printing that out !!

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Morpheus,

Great check off list, but I would change #4 to:  Are you a board certified PLASTIC surgeon?

Believe it or not, we have an Eye doctor here in Orlando performing liposuction! He is board certified, but in Ophthalmology, and I can assure you, when any unsuspecting patient simply asks him, "Are you a board certified surgeon?", he says YES.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024