Author Topic: Fluid in chest - post op 3 days  (Read 1991 times)

Offline vc2928

• Posting Member
Hey guys,

I am 3 days post op and so far loving the results, there are a few issues such as lack of sleep, headaches, drains and an upset stomach but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

However, I made this thread for the one thing that is bothering me a lot. It is the liquid/fluid in the chest, mainly on the left side that i can hear moving around - it is freaking me out! Is it normal? Should I call my ps about it? I know someone who has gone through this and they said it will go away with time but frankly im scared every time I hear it!

Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Offline rhyno18

• Bronze Member
If you were 3 days post op, you likely had a follow up scheduled with your PS.  I'd just ask him/her about it then.

I had something similar.  I had some fluid build up that was very noticeable...(like a wave when you pressed it.  He drained it with a needle.  It took 5 minutes and it was immediately gone.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with rhyno18.

Some amount of fluid (not necessarily blood) can accumulate post-operatively under the skin -- even if you have drains.  Unless it has accumulated to a large degree, it will oftentimes disappear by itself or it may be drained by your surgeon if he feels it is necessary.

In any case, you should at least call your surgeon to discuss -- he will probably see you very soon in either case.

No need to panic!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline vc2928

• Posting Member
thnkas a lot for the replies. I dont have an appointment with the ps till 6 weeks post op - is that too late? Did most of you guys have it immediately after the op? I have been seeing the nurse at the office on a weekly basis to make sure there isnt something wonky going on!

Last week they did end up draining the fluid, there is some still left which I think they will take out next week!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024