Author Topic: How did anesthesia feel to you?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Xavier

• Bronze Member
All I remember is being told to go from my hospital bed onto the operating table, then the anesthesiologist put something into my IV and said I will get dizzy in 5 seconds. After I got dizzy I remember I told him 'it's working' and then I was knocked out. Next thing I remember is feeling a bit anxious when I woke up in the recovery room. Then I fell back asleep and woke up 30 minutes later.

hammer

I was only put totally under for one of my surgeries, that was the back!

All I could remember was him telling me what he was going to do, then waking up about ten hour later!

The other surgeries I was numb, so I was awake. I was able to talk to the surgeon as I had both of my knees replaced!

Offline xelnaga13

I had two surgeries in the past couple years, both under full anesthesia. My shoulder surgery I awoke completely intoxicated and remained that way for several hours. I can only describe it as being high/drunk at the same time. I was pretty embarrassed the next day.

My other surgery ( gyne) the second I came to after surgery I was sober and clear headed. I actually called my father right away to say it went well. He was really shocked that I was able to have a conversation immediately after surgery.

Not sure why my experience was so different.

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member

This may be off topic but I can tell you about my experience with  anesthesia when I went to have shoulder surgery at a really high end place with many famous athletes travel to from across the country.

I was kind of lucky* if you can call it that to have a very bad accident on my shoulder while on vacation in the same city as what many consider to be the top orthopedics clinic in the world.

The doctor was world famous and specialized in only shoulders. He would not do any other orthopedics and basically wrote the book on the procedure. The facility had a team of dedicated anesthesiologist who were actually doctors themselves.( I did not realize that anesthesiologist could be doctors, I always thought of them as specialized surgery assistance) 

The worst part of it was the IV(which the nurse used Lidocaine first to dull the vein.) Which cause it to be no more painful then a bee sting.

I was next given Versed which almost completely knocked me out from what I remember. I kind of felt the nerve block for my shoulder but I don't remember it being bad. I was horrified when I watch youtube video of the nerve block and I could not believe it was done so quickly, fast and painless.

The next thing I remember is being moved and figured I was going into surgery but they told me that it was over. I could not believe it. I remembered nothing.

I was told that I was given a dose of Lodocaine( tracer) to dull the veins for the Propofol, then was knocked out using the Propofol however then after I was out, I was given a type of modified gas which a breathing apparatus that would keep me knocked out.However I don't remember anything from this part.
I do not know what this method was called but it kind of sounds like a " the laryngeal mask airway (LMA)" which I read about on Dr. Revis website but I am not sure if they are the same.

The doctor told me that it was general anesthesia however one that allowed me to breath on my own.

Anyway, that is my only experience with it. I was told that the drug Versed has the ability to make people forget so its possible there was more too it but that I forgot.

Anyway, I hope up totally alert and feeling great. I could not believe how happy I felt, must have been a side effect of the drugs. I did not feel sick, tired or anything.

I had a special vest on my should connected to a machine which pumped ice cold water around my shoulder at a constant temperature. ( They let me take the machine home with me for 2 weeks after surgery)

I really felt like I had just woken up for a normal sleep( except possible better and less tired). I felt great, no pain or anything. However, I did have a shoulder block which basically paralyzed my arm temporary and it was a closed surgery/arthroscopic which means they never really cut open the skin, rather used a small fiber optic camera with extremely small micro instruments which can fit inside something the size of a large needle. When the shoulder block wore off eventually, then my arm started to feel kind of strange but the nurse started giving me pain medication. I did not even have stitches on my skin rather just some small pieces of tape called Steri-Strip.

The strange thing is a week later when I was in physical therapy for my shoulder( same building as the operation), someone came up to me who worked for the Doctor doing the surgery said they had talked to me in the operating room prior to surgery.

I don't remember anything passed the shoulder block which was done kind of in a waiting area, apparently I was awake in the operating room prior to surgery and had an entire conversation with this person without remembering anything.

I just hope I did not do anything too embarrassing during this period.

This place was cutting edge, they don't have the X-ray illuminator board which you are used to seeing X-rays with, they had like a big  flat screen monitor with an IPAD zooming features in the hallway and their own MRI machine for the clinic( separate than the one for the hospital) I felt like I was in an episode of star trek.

After the surgery, they gave me a menu from something you would expect to see at a 5 star restaurant. I thought I must still be dreaming.

Anyway, that is my surgery experience for my shoulder. I do not know how this could compare with gynecomastia corrective surgery or a normal operation faculty.

One of the reasons I like Dr. Revis is that it sounds like he may use method of anesthesia like what I had however they never actually told me what it was called.

Anyway, I wish this place did plastic surgery to correct gynecomastia however they only do orthopedics. I would love to a gynecomastia corrective surgeon equivalent to the place I went for shoulder surgery.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks 

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:07:14 PM by letsfixthis »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024