Author Topic: anyone done gynecomastia surgery under local anasthesia? my pictures included!  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
Hi can you please share your experiences with Local Anesthesia for the Gynecomastia Surgery if you have done so? Because i am considering this surgery however i want to keep it to a Local Anesthesia surgery, so pleasecan you share your experiences?

*E.G what have you been through, did you feel any pain? how was the procedure etc etc

And i am 17 would you think i am an suitable candidate??

Offline Viking75

• Bronze Member
I would never have thís kind of surgery with local only! Sure It is possible, people do It sometimes because of lack of money.
It is a big possibility that you during the procedure will "cripple" your surgeon due to you not beeing able to coope with the stress and pain.

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
how about with sedation? or light? i have seen sever case gynecomastia surgeries being performed under Local anasthesia with or without sedation/tumescent + Liposuction+Incision

Offline letsfixthis

• Silver Member
What country are you in that a doctor would perform such a surgery without you being under?

This is not recommended at all.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As a plastic surgeon, I am very adept at administering local anesthesia.  And I can do many procedures under local anesthesia alone.  But gyne surgery, with significant lipo (as you would need), is not one of those procedures.  There are certain nerves that local anesthesia does not cover -- and it would be very painful to have lipo under local anesthesia -- trust me on this.

In my practice, I do not use general anesthesia, except in a hospital situation.  But that is only 1-2% of my patients.  The other 98% have complete gyne surgery in my office on an out-patient basis, with "twilight sleep" anesthesia administered by a separate and very expert anesthesiologist.  There is absolutely no pain or awareness and yet you wake up within five minutes with no hangover, grogginess or sore throat -- and no pain!!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
As a plastic surgeon, I am very adept at administering local anesthesia.  And I can do many procedures under local anesthesia alone.  But gyne surgery, with significant lipo (as you would need), is not one of those procedures.  There are certain nerves that local anesthesia does not cover -- and it would be very painful to have lipo under local anesthesia -- trust me on this.

In my practice, I do not use general anesthesia, except in a hospital situation.  But that is only 1-2% of my patients.  The other 98% have complete gyne surgery in my office on an out-patient basis, with "twilight sleep" anesthesia administered by a separate and very expert anesthesiologist.  There is absolutely no pain or awareness and yet you wake up within five minutes with no hangover, grogginess or sore throat -- and no pain!!

Dr Jacobs

Dr Jacobs thank you very much for your reply, so do you think my gyne can be done under the "twilight sleep" ? and can you tell me more about this "twlight sleep" as seems a better option rather than the general anaesthasia.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
I wonder why at age 17 you are opposed to undergoing general anesthesia.  The drugs used in anesthesia now are safer than ever.  Is there a particular reason you do not want your surgery done under general anesthesia, or is it just fear of the unknown?

At your young age, with no medical problems, you should sail through it with very little risk.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline Jake7676

• Bronze Member
[quote author=Dr. Pope link=topic=26730.msg175680#msg175680 date=1355025875]
I wonder why at age 17 you are opposed to undergoing general anesthesia.  The drugs used in anesthesia now are safer than ever.  Is there a particular reason you do not want your surgery done under general anesthesia, or is it just fear of the unknown?

At your young age, with no medical problems, you should sail through it with very little risk.

Dr. Pope, MD
[/quote]I'd say its the fear of the unknown, i dont like the whole procedure of going under,i would prefer a walk in walk out procedure.

Regards.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
In the hands of a good surgical team (surgeon and anesthesiologist), either general anesthesia or twilight anesthesia work very well.  There should be no fear on your behalf.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024