Author Topic: Liver Disease = Breast Enlargement?  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
Does anyone know if this is true.... liver disease linked to gyne?

Also, has anyone experienced breast enlargement due to liver disease? If you don't feel comfortable expressing this through a thread, pm me!

Doctor's - Have you treated patients who suffered from gynecomastia due to liver disease? Can this increase the rate of recurrence (if surgery is done) since, often times, if it's too severe a transplant is needed?

The reason I'm asking is because, I believe something is going on with my liver...having symptoms of a damaged liver and recently went to the E.R. (because of pains in that region) and they weren't able to find anything but said I should follow up with my primary asap. I will be doing this tomorrow.

Thank you for those that take the time to reply...

hammer

I have read that excessive drinking of alcohol can lead to gynecomastia and we all know what it will do to the liver!

That's my two cents worth.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:54:41 AM by hammer »

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
I have read that excessive drinking of alcohol can lead to gynecomastia and we al know what it will do to the liver!

That's my two cents worth.

Thanks for your response...

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:56:14 PM by Keep_It_Moving »

Offline Miki88

Thanks for posting here information… I have searched from this site.. It is amazing..

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
The male has Estrogen, In fact we really need it and depriving us of Estrogen will actually make us ill. Too much Estrogen causes problems too and Gynecomastia is only one of them.

How does this relate to the liver? One of the things the liver does is neutralize Estrogen. If liver function is impaired, The estrogen level in a man will rise.

Alcohol actually has a double whammy. It is not only toxic to the liver, but to the testes as well. That means that your week end blast caused your testosterone to go down while your estrogen  went up. The occasional binge drinker will only have a short term event when Estrogen becomes the dominant hormone, but the effect could be cumulative. Not all causes of Gynecomastia are so easily explained. Many causes I do not understand at all.

Added: I just had a memory flash. Another problem of having too much Estrogen is clotting usually in the large veins of the lower body resulting in a thromboembolism. I have neighbor who is going through sexual reassignment and this is a major worry for him/ her/it/whatever. This is potentially deadly.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:22:50 PM by Paa_Paw »
Grandpa Dan

hammer

I'll drink to that! Good explanation grandpa Dan!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Paa_Paw had the explanation right.  There is a relation between advanced liver disease and gynecomastia.  The problem is that when someone has advanced liver disease, they are a poor candidate for any type of surgery.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Keep_It_Moving

• Silver Member
Paa_Paw had the explanation right.  There is a relation between advanced liver disease and gynecomastia.  The problem is that when someone has advanced liver disease, they are a poor candidate for any type of surgery.

Dr Jacobs

This is great information to know. Thank you Dr. Jacobs! I'm having my ultrasound on Saturday, so I'm hoping everything comes back normal! I Still seem to have pains in that region, I guess time will tell...

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024