Author Topic: Will GP Prescribe Tamoxifen?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline JC2014

• Posting Member
I've had gynaecomastia since I was a young teen.  When I was a young adult it caused me a lot of pain and discomfort. My GP (NHS) referred me to the breast clinic, and after a few months of waiting, had a lot of tests done. I was prescribed tamoxifen, and within a week I couldn't feel the pain and discomfort at all.

A few months passed, and the pain and discomfort started to return. I got a repeat prescription, and it took care of it quickly again. A few years have passed and, aside from a couple of days here and there, everythinf has been fine - until now...

The same pain and discomfort returned two weeks ago. I saw my GP last week, and I've been referred to breast clinic again. The GP wouldn't prescribe me tamoxifen though. I can't stand the thought of waiting months to get this sorted again. I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks and this will put a damper on it. Is it illegal for a GP to prescribe tamoxifen or should I see another and see if they will? It annoys me that I know exactly how to fix it but might not be able to for months. Does anyone know how I can (legally, not a dodgy site) get tamoxifen within next two weeks? I'm desperate!

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
My oncologist would not prescribe Tamoxifen either because of the blood clot risk. Instead he prescribed Arimidex, which works on a different principle than Tamoxifen. Arimidex reduces Estradiol, while Tamoxifen acts at the receptor level in the gland. Unfortunately, it didn't help even though my Estradiol levels were reduced to below the threshold measurement levels.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024