Author Topic: TRT and Gyno?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Tonyp1

• Posting Member
I have always had a minor issue with gyno, so I assume I'm just naturally prone.  However, about 3 years ago I was diagnose with Low T (70 ng-gl), and started getting injections.  I definitely feel much better on T replacement, but my gyno has gotten much worse since I started.  My estrogen level are high because of the T (about 50 pg-ml).  I believe that's what's causing the growth.  When I was on a higher dose, my estrogen was much higher, and breast growth was faster/much more painful.  Now that I've lowered my dose, only the  right side is a little sore and the size seems to have stabilized.  I can't seem to find a endocronologist willing to put me on anything to lower my estrogen.  My question is, with my estrogen levels still elevated, is getting the surgery pointless because they can just grow back beings the cause hasn't been fixed?  I'd like to schedule the surgery for this winter, but would hate to spend the money just to have them grow back.   Thanks for any advice!

Offline Zenxer

• Bronze Member
  • Mm.. Donuts
If your gyne did get worse after you started the injections, I wouldn't do the surgery right now. I would wait until you're done the injections and all soreness is gone. From what I know, when they do the surgery, they take out 85-90%(estimate) of the gland. They don't take it all out so there is no cratering/contour issues. So technically, it could grow back.

Don't quote me though, I'm not an expert.
My surgery was done on Oct 20th, 2014 by Dr. J. Craig Fielding in Toronto, Ontario.

Offline Tonyp1

• Posting Member
The problem is, I'll never be done with the injections......  I stopped producing testosterone on my own, so as long as I want to have a healthy marriage and body,  I'll be needing them.  

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I would suggest you seek the opinion of another endocrinologist.

First, you have to determine, if possible, what is the cause of your low T -- and treat it if possible.  If the cause is unknown, then T replacement is certainly indicated in a young man.  But understand that a certain amount of your T will aromatize (chemically change) to estrogen and as you have seen, your estrogen will increase as well.  Most men do not walk around with elevated estrogen levels.  In these circumstances, an estrogen blocker may be considered.

Again, seek another opinion.

Would absolutely not have gyne surgery if your estrogen levels continue to be elevated -- you are asking for a recurrence.

Would wait until your hormones are balanced and in control.

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:25:27 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Lewisrose93

I'm not sure, but I think I remember reading something about excess testosterone converting to estrogen. Maybe you were on too high of a dose.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Correct.  The hormonal system is extremely delicate and balanced.  That is why one must absolutely be followed closely and carefully by an endocrinologist, with frequent blood tests, until the proper dose for your body has been determined.

Dr Jacobs

Offline Tonyp1

• Posting Member
My testosterone levels are in the mid range of where they should be, I just have a problem with aromatizeing testosterone more than an average person.  My  testosterone is steady at around 600, while my estrogen is more than double what the desired amount is.  When my test was at around 1000, which is pretty high, my estrogen was 4x the desired level, and my boobs were growing rapidly.  I have an appointment monday.  Maybe I'll be able to talk him into a aromatase inhibitor?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024