Author Topic: Which Hormones Do I Test?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline PotatoMan

First off, glad to see there's such a great resource out there on the internet.

Anyways, I'm considering surgery, but only as a last option. In the short-term, I want to check for the most important hormones that could be affecting my condition. What should I check, though? The two testosterones are the big ones, but what else?

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
Estradiol. And SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulin)

Offline PotatoMan

Thanks for the answer. Are Prolactin, androgen, and aromatase also important to test?

Offline Tonyp1

• Posting Member
Prolactin was one my endocrinologist said was important.  Aromatase is a process by which testosterone is converted into estrogen. I don't think there's a test for that.  Androgen is a generalized name for a group of male sex hormones.  Testosterone is a androgen.  High estradiol, from the aromatase of testosterone (TRT), was what caused my gyno.

Offline PotatoMan

Great, thanks for the additional input Tony. Here's my menu:

Estradiol
SHBG
Free testosterone
Total testosterone  
Prolactin

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:02:41 AM by PotatoMan »

Offline Sven

• Posting Member
Aromatase is a process by which testosterone is converted into estrogen. I don't think there's a test for that...  High estradiol, from the aromatase of testosterone (TRT), was what caused my gyno.

Just wanted to add a small correction to this statement. Aromatase is actually  an enzyme that binds to androgen and testosterone and converts them to estrogen and estradiol.  Aromatization is the process by which this conversion occurs.  As far as I know, aromatase levels cannot be measured, but there are methods for measuring the amount of aromatase activity taking place in the body.  There are drugs called "aromatase inhibitors" (examples include tamoxifen or raloxifene) that stop aromatization from taking place.

rrr

What can be done about high SHBG?

B

Offline davidirish

I guess none of the doctors will answer you as your probably not a potential client for them.Its a pity.

You should get

Estrogen
Testosterone
Free Testosterone
SHBG
Prolactin
Progestosterone

Offline MammaryMan

• Bronze Member
What can be done about high SHBG?

The best I can determine - nothing. So you can have a high testosterone level, but if your
SHBG is eating it up, so to speak, and it reduces your free testosterone, which is the only
one that counts, you are in trouble testosterone-wise.

That's the problem with testosterone enhancing gels. It appears that if the SHBG is preventing an increase in the free testosterone, the testosterone supplementation is doing no good.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024