Author Topic: Just got aggressive gyno out of nowhere...what can I do?  (Read 1641 times)

Dench57

Hi guys,
A few months ago I was put on a low dose of Amitryptyline (tricyclic anti-depressant) to help with a constant scalp pain/itching I have. Within 2 weeks I noticed a very slight sensation in my nipples, and realising gyno was a side-effect of anti-depressants, I came off the drug immediately. Nothing has happened since then, about 6-7 weeks ago, so I assumed it had resolved itself naturally.
Now about 5 days ago I started taking a low dose of Sulfasalazine, an anti-inflammatory and mild immuno-suppressant, to combat my scalp pain. Within 3 days of starting, out of nowhere my nipples/breast area became very painful, aching, and in the space of 3 days have visibly puffed out and are protruding. It's obvious I have very aggressive gyno, I had no idea it was this painful/happened this quickly. But I have NO idea why or how this happening, I have checked and gyno is not a listed side effect of Sulfasalazine, not even in extremely rare cases. It doesn't effect the endocrine system. I was also taking Indomethacin (anti-inflam/painkillers) for about 3 weeks recently but I don't see how that could cause gyno either.
I am a slim, 25 year old healthy guy who regularly exercises, never had any history of gyno in puberty. I have naturally fairly high testosterone (30nmol/l, normal range 5-28nmol/l). I had the rest of my bloods checked about 2 months ago and all within normal range. However I haven't had my estrogen/estradiol levels checked - would that be advisable?
Obviously I am really freaking out right now, I can't believe how quickly and painfully this is happening, and I don't understand what is causing this. I went to see my doctor and they told me to stop all medication, so I did that, but that was 3 days ago and the pain is still really bad, my nipples have swollen noticeably and feel like they're going to explode.

What can I do? Is there ANY supplement or tablet I can take to try and counter this? Can gyno ever reverse naturally? Is it worth considering aromatase inhibitors or SERMS? Or is surgery the only option? I can't believe I could be this unlucky...aggressive gyno from just 2 weeks on a low dose anti-depressant...or 4 days of low dose sulfasalazine? I don't know how those things could have caused such an extreme reaction.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline HenryLacroix

• Posting Member
If you don't get a response here soon I'd recommend posting it under "Ask A Doctor" below.  Good luck!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024